• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

fave (online) homebrew suppliers

Barrel Char Wood Products

SirGlugsalot

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2011
i hit my local HBS store this weekend, only to find they don't stock Go-Ferm or mesh bags (for fruit, etc) when racking. i saw the list of homebrew shops on the site, but i was wondering if anyone had any favorite online stores they order from. thanks!

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I like MoreWine/Beer. Also Rebel Brewer, since I sometimes can't find what I want from MoreBeer.

Sometimes, I like to Google search and wade through the hits for cheapest prices on whatever it is I need. Some sites have better prices on one product, but have terrible prices on other things.

Edit: I should say, Rebel Brewer has lots of hop varieties that I've never even heard of...like Revolution from Rogue's hop farm.

Last edited:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm lucky to have a "local" semi-major sized HBS here in the Denver area called Stomp Them Grapes. They even have a website and they will ship. Their mail order prices aren't the lowest out there and larger places like MoreWine, Beverage People, Midwest Brewing Supply, and Northern Brewer (all of which I've used in the past, and I also recommend all of them) are generally a little cheaper, but one thing stands out abut Stomp Them Grapes for me. They know mead. In fact, one of their senior sales people was assistant meadmaker at Wild Blossom in Chicago before he decided to live in Denver. He'll be helping us out as a judge at this year's Mazer Cup in a couple of weeks.

SirGlugsalot

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2011
many thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

but for the life of me, i can't find anyone with Go-Ferm in-stock! what is this stuff, made out of gold?!

Golddiggie

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2010
Nashua, NH (USA)
photo.golddiggie.com
+1 for Rebel Brewer

I've also used Farmhouse Brewing Supply with good results (beer ingredients mostly)...

Otherwise, the LHBS I visit carries pretty much everything I need/want... The few things they don't carry, the two places listed above do.

SirGlugsalot

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2011
i chatted with someone (at Northern Brewer i think) and he mentioned that Nutriferm was replacing Go-Ferm as a yeast energizer. anyone got a bead on this?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
i chatted with someone (at Northern Brewer i think) and he mentioned that Nutriferm was replacing Go-Ferm as a yeast energizer. anyone got a bead on this?

Go-Ferm is a trademarked product of Lallemand. They produce it specifically as a yeast rehydration nutrient. Nutriferm is a trademarked series of nutrient blends produced by another company, Enartis, in Europe. I believe that the version Enartis recommends for pre-end of lag use is Nutriferm Start. I don't believe they have any specific rehydration formula, although they may have something new that I'm not aware of. If you were advised that something called Nutriferm is replacing Go-Ferm, then that is a specific action taken by one LHBS, not a phasing out of one product for another. As far as I know, Lallemand plans on continuing to produce Go-Ferm, and I plan on continuing to use it.

SirGlugsalot

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2011
If you were advised that something called Nutriferm is replacing Go-Ferm ...

THIS (for right or wrong) is what the dude (via the webchat) @ Northern Brewer told me.

not to belabor the point, but if anyone DOES know where i can (online) get some Go-Ferm, i'd be most grateful.

thanks again everyone!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Guess I'm spoiled. Most things I can get from my LHBS, and if not the main warehouse for MoreBeer/Wine is only a short drive through the tunnel.

Haven't ordered from here yet, but a "local" guy on the board here runs this site.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Guess I'm spoiled. Most things I can get from my LHBS, and if not the main warehouse for MoreBeer/Wine is only a short drive through the tunnel.

Haven't ordered from here yet, but a "local" guy on the board here runs this site.

The shop I visit is in Folsom, nice guys! But it isn't that much farther to Concord. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns