Thread: Royal Wedding Mead?

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Default Royal Wedding Mead?

With the Royal Wedding coming up soon (April 29, 2011 iirc) I was wondering if anybody on the other side of the pond is planning to start a commemorative recipe? Or is everyone apathetic about the Royal Family at this point?

I've been starting to think about recipe ideas, (and no, Naughty Rosie's Metheglyn simply won't do) and I'm wondering what would be good for British Royalty. Any suggestions?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Well, seeing as they're technically my royalty too I could make one... hmmm, it would have to be something redundant that serves no real purpose other than ceremony...
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

Well you could use honey extract, there are several out on the market. Very expensive and adds no fermentables at all. Add to this some blue berries to remind us all that they are after all the true blue bloods.

Quote Originally Posted by JayH View Post
    Well you could use honey extract, there are several out on the market. Very expensive and adds no fermentables at all. Add to this some blue berries to remind us all that they are after all the true blue bloods.
    Oh man, that's just PERFECT!

P.s. Sorry if anyone's a fan of the royalty, I don't mean to be offensive - they're just horribly redundant for my country and basically just create 14 jobs in government that cost a lot of money and accomplish extremely little!

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    With the Royal Wedding coming up soon (April 29, 2011 iirc) I was wondering if anybody on the other side of the pond is planning to start a commemorative recipe? Or is everyone apathetic about the Royal Family at this point?

I've been starting to think about recipe ideas, (and no, Naughty Rosie's Metheglyn simply won't do) and I'm wondering what would be good for British Royalty. Any suggestions?
    Nope! absolutely not. The only good thing about the expensive parasites getting married, is that the grovelling b******s in government have granted an extra public holiday on the Friday.

There's bound to be plenty of snivelling creeps doing something to celebrate it, plus the various commercial elements will be doing the t-shirt/cup/poster/stamps etc.

Personally I wouldn't p155 on them if they were on fire, but that's just my POV !

regards

fatbloke
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Now, don't hold back fatbloke. Tell us how you really feel.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

slàinte mhath

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Well, seeing as they're technically my royalty too I could make one... hmmm, it would have to be something redundant that serves no real purpose other than ceremony...
    And it would have to be very very expensive.

Seriously, we have a high paid official in each province and another one in the federal gov whose entire job is to pretend to sign off on laws/actions in the name of the queen. Of course, if they refuse to sign something they're fired...

Totally useless. I have no problem with being a member of the commonwealth, I'm sure it'll work out in our favour when the US ends up invading us (), but I could do without the goofy spending!

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Seriously, we have a high paid official in each province and another one in the federal gov whose entire job is to pretend to sign off on laws/actions in the name of the queen. Of course, if they refuse to sign something they're fired...
    I had no idea that was still part of the process! I thought you gave up the "royals' consent" at the end of the Dominion period. There's more to that Commonwealth (bureaucracy, mind you, not 'value') than I realized.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

I would think one would have to use honey from Charlie's own organic farm, Duchy Originals.
    Pair that with some of his biscuits or organic fruit and veggies...

That would make a fine gift for the royals, and quite a special product the peasants could purchase to celebrate their betters nuptials.

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    I had no idea that was still part of the process! I thought you gave up the "royals' consent" at the end of the Dominion period. There's more to that Commonwealth (bureaucracy, mind you, not 'value') than I realized.
    Yeah, I can't remember the story exactly from my school days, but what I remember is that at some point after we became independant one of our Governor Generals (feds) refused to sign a bill that was being passed (originally they actually had authority) so we changed the roll to make it so that they don't have any choice but to sign anything we put in front of them.

At least, that's what I remember, that was learned some time ago and may be wrong! Either way they're bloody useless.

Quote Originally Posted by chams View Post
    I would think one would have to use honey from Charlie's own organic farm, Duchy Originals.
    Ahh... now we're getting somewhere. While you guys can vent your spleens in frustration all you like, I happen to like the Royals. The Queen is a very impressive lady, and strikes me as a no-nonsense monarch. I'd happily trade most of the US government for her. We don't have anyone as classy as her in Washington (though Mrs. Obama does have style).

So I'll be watching the spectacle with my daughters.

That Heather honey from the Balmoral estate sounds interesting. Is there any other honey in England we could look for. Something from Buckfast Abbey maybe?

What about yeast? Anyone know the ABV tolerance of Windsor ale yeast (being the house of Windsor - that might work)? Any other good English strains we ought to consider?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon

Ha, sorry for the off-topic! I happen to like the Queen as well (and Di back in the day), but that's largely because I don't have to pay for them!

Anyone know what the official plants are of England? Those might be useful in a mel or a meth.

What about yeast? Anyone know the ABV tolerance of Windsor ale yeast (being the house of Windsor - that might work)?
    Apparently it can hit 10-11% in apple batches. So 10% is probably a reasonable target for Windsor.

Maybe some of Digby's stuff would work here?
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon

If you stuck with the Duchy product, eg. fruits and marmalades, you may have a mead that HRH The Prince of Wales would add to his line.

I'm thinking a tart . . . cider?
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Is there anything, that you can put in a mead, that gets more bitter with age? ;-)
    Bees stole my signature file!

So I had another though about honey. Since Prince William of Wales is the groom, some Welsh honey might be a thought. It is darned pricey, and I'm not sure how fast it could get here but it is an option. Of course Lake Wales, Florida is a lot closer and produces some good honey.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon

I think I might be 1/2 or a 1/4 Welsh, so you could use honey shipped to you from my fav beekeeper? (kidding of course!)