• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Aging in "bag in box"

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Is this any good? I was thinking about this for my test batches in order to just taste half a glass a month or so to see how they progress...

Cheers!

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Is this any good? I was thinking about this for my test batches in order to just taste half a glass a month or so to see how they progress...

Cheers!

That's a very interesting concept :eek:
Sure seems to be an easy way to store and test as time goes on without having to much oxygen come in contact with the mead every time you open and close the container. Look forward to seeing how everyone feels about your idea.

TB

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Me, too :) With my smaller batches, I was planning on doing the clearing in "small" PET bottles, then transfer it. Part of the plan is to learn how taste changes as mead ages...without getting too much oxygen into it.

I pay ~US$7 for a bag-in-a-box, while a glass wine bottle is ~US$2+cork++

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Found this link which seems interesting. They kept opened wine for 6 weeks without any obvious signs of oxidation. With wine being more susceptible to oxidation, this could be promising...

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I'll do my best, but this trial really is more about learning to taste than anything. I can, however, report on obvious off flavors and color change...

The plan so far is
1. Primary on opaque bucket
2. Secondary on a clear plastic bottle - just until it clears
3. Age on BiB and taste continually until they're empty :)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
2. Secondary on a clear plastic bottle - just until it clears

This can be a really long time if you're not using fining agents. I used to think my meads were clearing after 1 month, or 3 months, but then I realized they clear in phases (mine do anyways) and they're generally not actually clear until 7-9 months at the earliest, and often more than a year (for a traditional, fruit meads clear faster for me).

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Hmmm...How about if I just let it get rid of the worst and then rack it into the BiB? I should be able to sample it without disturbing the sediment, and then rerack into a clean BiB aftre a year's time or so...?...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Sure, if you want. Good old carboy aging seems a lot easier to work with to me, but we each make do with what we have!

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
Me, too :) With my smaller batches, I was planning on doing the clearing in "small" PET bottles, then transfer it. Part of the plan is to learn how taste changes as mead ages...without getting too much oxygen into it.

I pay ~US$7 for a bag-in-a-box, while a glass wine bottle is ~US$2+cork++

I'm interested in your original idea. You could bottle in 2 liter, soda botttles and when you sample you can squeez the bottle so that there is no air in it. Even better, build a DIY carbonator and top off with some CO2.

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Here's something I don't understand, although my Dad does this to take wine to Florida that he's made...
How do you get the mead/wine in the bag? Does the spigot come out, or do you hold the spigot open?
Seem unwieldy to me. :)

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
the draining part (is that a spigot?) comes off, so you just pour into the hole and then reattach it.

Yes that's it. Thanks.
I've haven't looked closely enough I guess.
I know my father reuses the wine concentrate bags as well. They have a snap cap type thing that you remove with a bottle openerer and can snap back on.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns