• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First batch would love a second opinion!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ryngo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2011
Nacogdoches Texas
First, I would like to thank everyone on this site for helping me construct my first 2 batches of mead. With a little effort on my part I was able to find answers to most all of my questions. Now on to the subject at hand.
I have constructed two batches: medium show mead & a cyser. I will list the results and hope that someone can check over them before I pitch the yeast tomorrow.

Mead
O.G. 1.094
Percentage Tartaric Acid 1.2(.075)= .09
I checked this one three times because the number seemed very low.

Cyser
O.G. 1.111
Percentage Tartaric Acid 4.1(.075)= .3075

I am using an Acid Test Kit, however the kit seems geared more toward wine listing a Desirable Acid Contents of "Must", which range between .55 - .80%. Please request any additional information you might need. I will be pitching 2 packages of Red Star Champagne yeast into each batch.

Does the acidity of .09 for the mead seem off?
Does the acidity of .3075 for the cyser seem off?
I have calcium carbonate.
If it is "off", then how much should I use?

Thanks again, Ryngo

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hi Ryngo and Welcome to GotMead!!

You'll find that TA kits are pretty useless in mead, as the organic acids are totally different than grape wine. Search for posts by McFeeley with the term gluconolactone to learn all about it.

pH is a more important number for mead fermentations. Generally a pH between 3.2 and 3.8 is ideal, though you can operate outside that range with some strains. Acid additions should only be made after fermentation, and to taste. Base additions (like carbonates) can be used to move the pH up if it is too low. For traditional meads (just honey & water, no fruit etc) you should monitor the pH over the first few days to make sure it doesn't drop too low.

Ryngo

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 26, 2011
Nacogdoches Texas
thanks akueck
your post verified my understanding of the importance of monitoring the ph.I bought the acid test, on the owners suggestion, from a brew supply in spring texas. I had originally gone there for an electronic ph meter. After using the "kit", the results were so unrealistic that I decided to throw some campden tablets to buy me some more time before I pitched my yeast.

Now I am afraid that I will have to make another 6 hr trip just to get my hands on a ph meter... unless anyone can think of another specialty store that might carry the device. I live in deep east texas; dallas and houston are my only options.

Thanks for the heads up on the uselessness of the test kit for mead and I will read your suggested link.

Ryngo

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Try most any aquarium (fish) store, many of them carry PH meters. Also Swimming pools supply shops.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Or you can order a pH meter online and have it delivered to your door. Most brewing supply places carry them.

You may not need to worry about it. Just pitch the yeast and follow the gravity. Now adding nutrients like Fermaid K tends to help keep the pH up, but if you are making a Show mead, that mean no nutrient additions and I wouldn't recommend that for your first mead. Adding nutrients will make it a traditional mead, and that would be better for a new mead crafter. For the cyser you probably want some.

And Welcome to GotMead!

Medsen

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns