FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: First batch would love a second opinion!

Default First batch would love a second opinion!

First, I would like to thank everyone on this site for helping me construct my first 2 batches of mead. With a little effort on my part I was able to find answers to most all of my questions. Now on to the subject at hand.
    I have constructed two batches: medium show mead & a cyser. I will list the results and hope that someone can check over them before I pitch the yeast tomorrow.

Mead
    O.G. 1.094
    Percentage Tartaric Acid 1.2(.075)= .09
    I checked this one three times because the number seemed very low.

Cyser
    O.G. 1.111
    Percentage Tartaric Acid 4.1(.075)= .3075

I am using an Acid Test Kit, however the kit seems geared more toward wine listing a Desirable Acid Contents of "Must", which range between .55 - .80%. Please request any additional information you might need. I will be pitching 2 packages of Red Star Champagne yeast into each batch.

Does the acidity of .09 for the mead seem off?
    Does the acidity of .3075 for the cyser seem off?
    I have calcium carbonate.
    If it is "off", then how much should I use?

Thanks again, Ryngo

Hi Ryngo and Welcome to GotMead!!

You'll find that TA kits are pretty useless in mead, as the organic acids are totally different than grape wine. Search for posts by McFeeley with the term gluconolactone to learn all about it.

pH is a more important number for mead fermentations. Generally a pH between 3.2 and 3.8 is ideal, though you can operate outside that range with some strains. Acid additions should only be made after fermentation, and to taste. Base additions (like carbonates) can be used to move the pH up if it is too low. For traditional meads (just honey & water, no fruit etc) you should monitor the pH over the first few days to make sure it doesn't drop too low.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

thanks akueck
    your post verified my understanding of the importance of monitoring the ph.I bought the acid test, on the owners suggestion, from a brew supply in spring texas. I had originally gone there for an electronic ph meter. After using the "kit", the results were so unrealistic that I decided to throw some campden tablets to buy me some more time before I pitched my yeast.

Now I am afraid that I will have to make another 6 hr trip just to get my hands on a ph meter... unless anyone can think of another specialty store that might carry the device. I live in deep east texas; dallas and houston are my only options.

Thanks for the heads up on the uselessness of the test kit for mead and I will read your suggested link.

Ryngo

Try most any aquarium (fish) store, many of them carry PH meters. Also Swimming pools supply shops.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Or you can order a pH meter online and have it delivered to your door. Most brewing supply places carry them.

You may not need to worry about it. Just pitch the yeast and follow the gravity. Now adding nutrients like Fermaid K tends to help keep the pH up, but if you are making a Show mead, that mean no nutrient additions and I wouldn't recommend that for your first mead. Adding nutrients will make it a traditional mead, and that would be better for a new mead crafter. For the cyser you probably want some.

And Welcome to GotMead!

Medsen
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)