• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1-Step Cleaner

Barrel Char Wood Products

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Is this a cleanser or a sanitizer/sterilizer or both?

The label has it as a cleanser, but the NewBee guide has it listed as "sanitize" as opposed to just "clean".
It is a cleanser. To be classified as a sanitizer, vigorous testing and certification is required. Sanitation is probably the most important step in producing good wine/mead. That being said, I have made numerous batches without using anything actually labeled “sanitizer. I made sure my carboys were cleaned and rinsed after they are used. Then I cleaned them with warm soapy water and a carboy brush before their next use. Then I used a one-step cleanser, and then a final rinse with clean water.

I have finally purchased my first iodine-based sanitizer, but I don’t think its going to make a lot of difference. It’s just an extra layer of protection (perhaps overkill) for already very clean carboys.

Last edited:

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
I've made ten batches in the last year using LD Carlson Easy Clean (same as 1 step) as cleanser and sanitizer. So far no problems. :)

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Well, I can get bleach in large quantities for next to nothing, but the reason why I got 1-step was because it was environmentally friendly...

I was planning to just fill my bucket, drop in the required amount of 1-step (1 tbsp/gallon) and soak my stuff for the required 2 minutes (after washing them, of course). Am I being too simplistic here?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well, I can get bleach in large quantities for next to nothing, but the reason why I got 1-step was because it was environmentally friendly...

I was planning to just fill my bucket, drop in the required amount of 1-step (1 tbsp/gallon) and soak my stuff for the required 2 minutes (after washing them, of course). Am I being too simplistic here?
That two minutes only works if the fermenter is already relatively clean. If you have some build-up, You'll need some soap and elbow grease first, and then I'd increase the contact time.

commonsenseman

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2011
I use StarSan because it's highly recommended, no-rinse, easy to use, & cheap. I just fill up a spray bottle with the mixture & spray it on everything before I use it, 100% safe & very effective. The main advantage I've found over one-step or easy-clean is that StarSan is a liquid, so no chunks & it stays mixed together in the spray bottle.

To each his own.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron

I avoid bleach.
The tropics tend to have plenty of mold. Mold exposed to chlorine can produce TCA. Your mead/wine can be ruined by TCA formed across the room. So unless your brewing area has no wood, cardboard, plywood or any other mold harboring materials anywhere in the vicinity, I'd recommend using non-bleach products.

oldwhiskers

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2011
Tennessee
I have been using One Step but have been think of changing to LD Carlson Easy Clean since it is nearly half as much as One Step.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
Easy Clean is basically a knock off of one step, they are chemically and practically very close. I've never had issues with either one. Though they are technically not classified as a sanitizer, most homebrewers use it for this purpose and it seems to work well. An iodine or acid based sanitizer, such as Iodophor or Star San, is theoretically more effective. These types of sanitizer can also be saved and reused, while one-step or easy clean will lose its effectiveness after just a couple of hours.

As a cleaner, One-Step and Easy Clean are not very effective when compared to other cleaners such as PBW.

Hope that helps!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns