Thread: Mead Ale- no bubbles after 3 days

1. Default Mead Ale- no bubbles after 3 days

We just put a batch together more or less following the mead ale recipe from this site. We did 2 1 gallon batches and split one packet of brewer's yeast between the two. Light to moderate bubbles for about 2 and half days now down to almost none. Need we worry or add more yeast? Thanks

Hi TimandReacie,

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

If it's fermenting I wouldn't worry yet. But more info will be needed to help you track you progress.

Whole recipe and procedure.
    Temp
    SG
    Ph

Anything you can add will help.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

slàinte mhath

Bubbles mean little, hydrometre readings mean everything! It's possible it's simply finished fermenting.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

4. Default

We are mead babys- no hydrometer yet. One other question, we left a couple of inches of space at the top of the glass jug- should we top this off to give less surface areas for molds to grow?

thanks

5. Default

1 lb honey
    1 oz hops pellets
    1/2 packet Muntons brewing yeast
    juice of 1.5 large lemons
    1 gal water
    2 tb nutrients

We boiled water with hops for 45 min added a little more hops at last 5 min.
    added honey, lemon juice and nutrients mixed and let set over night. Next day decanted 95% of liquid into clean glass jug, added yeast (rehydrated per directions), topped off jug to within about 3 inches from top with filtered water and put air lock on. Put in semi-dark location at around 69 F. Moderate bubbles rose for about 2.5 days.
    Have now moved it to cooler room roughly 60-65 F. No bubbles, very little krausen, fair amount of sediment on bottom. Noticed a bit of white patch floating on surface of water today, can't tell if it is mold yet. Wondering if I should top off to reduce surface area?
    Thanks
    Tim

You will want to fill up head space after the 1/3 sugar break, for which you will need a hydrometer.

If you havn't yet, I would suggest reading the Newbee Guide, found with the link in the tool bar to your left.

slàinte mhath

O.K., I'm going to bow out of this one, as I have no idea what you've got there. Looks to be a braggot, but with out the malts.

With only one pound of honey, I too would think it's done fermenting.

I'm sure one of the mentor will be able to add some useful insights.

slàinte mhath

8. Default

Thanks, I'll check out the newbie guide and keep we'll keep our fingers crossed.

I wouldn't worry about headspace too terribly, this is under airlock right? Until you pop that off that headspace will be full of CO2. Now, you will want to rack to secondary at some point soon, but without a hydrometer you're flying totally blind - best 10 bucks or so you could possibly spend when fermenting things, will help you control/understand the process, and will help you avoid serious injury after bottling.

This is probably just done fermenting. That's a very small amount of honey for a gallon (makes sense if it's supposed to be more like a beer in terms of alcohol content) and I wouldn't be surprised if it finished fermenting so quickly.

Weird recipe indeed, not really an ale of any kind, just a very light thin mead (hydromel) with lemon and hops. Could be very refreshing, will be totally dry for sure. I'm assuming this is intended to be primed and bottle carbonated?

Hi Everybody,

I'm pretty new to mead-making & I see the issue of headspace has been raised. A week ago I racked my modified JAO into a 2L glass jug since I can't get hold of carboys in my town.

Anyways, the JAO is now in secondary but there's at least 3 inches of headspace left. Should I worry about this? Should I rack again into a smaller jug even tho it's been a week since my rack from primary into secondary?? Or should I tap some water in??
    Last edited by Meadaroo; 04-14-2011 at 03:09 AM.

No need to post questions in multiple places - everyone here checks all new posts generally, regardless of what section they're posted in, so you don't have to worry about missing someone!