Thread: Headspace

Default Headspace

Hey Guys

"GOTMEAD"? is super helpful & I'm learning tons about mead-making

I need some wisdom. I've racked my very first batch o mead into secondary about a week ago & there's about 3 inches of head space left with half an inch of lees on the bottom.

Should I worry about the head space? Is it too late to top off with water or should I rack it again into a smaller glass container?

Help?? I'm so worried about oxidation , being new to this gr8 hobby.

Thx

There's a really good chance it's ok so far, because of CO2 being released right after fermentation - but definitely rack again (you want to get of those lees too, which is why I don' just say to top up). If you can find a jug that'll be just the right size that's perfect, but if not then I'd top it up with a water/honey mixture, or juice, or something with flavour that won't dilute the mead's flavour (or water, it really depends on how much is needed and the specific recipe).
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

Hi AToE

Thx so much 4 the help.

I've racked again into a smaller jug. Also, when I opened the seal I heard a hiss which tells me ( I think) that there is still plenty C02 left to displace any oxygen - a relief he he and just confirms your thoughts too -

thx

If it's still hissing then it's probably still fermenting, which is good, means it will drive off some O2 - but make sure it's under airlock and not a solid seal.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H