• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Things to do while waiting for your mead...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Just wanted to share what I made for my girlfriend's birthday. It kind of relates to my interest for everything norse, and it's actually the exact same technique used for making chain maille - only with silver :)

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Thanks :) Haven't done any jewelry for a few years, but it was nice giving her something that means something instead of just some crap I bought just to get something ;)

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
My boyfriend and I feel the same way. :) Last year for my birthday he got me a session to finish my backpiece. Totally awesome present, I may take a page out of his book and do the same this year so he can get his brewing/ meadmaking sleeves finished.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Nice byzantine maille! :) I'm making myself a stainless steel chainmaille watchband...

And my hubby made me a weapons rack for my b-day one year ;D

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I was going to ask what other people do while waiting, maybe I'll have to post a pic of my RC Heli , I finally got the whole thing balanced out and now my transmitter is broken *grumble*

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
RC chopper? Cool! Always wanted to get into that more than I did, never got past balsa wood model planes... then I found horses... and boys... and wood carving, drawing, beadwork, wirework, rebuilding Chevettes, armourmaking, winemaking, martial arts, swordwork, jogging... I just wanna know how the hell I once had time for a full time job...

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
We do homesteading here - chickens, garden, drinking horn carving, etc. I do needlework and drawing. I used to ride and show horses as well, but I don't have the money for it now. :(

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
We do homesteading here - chickens, garden, drinking horn carving, etc. I do needlework and drawing. I used to ride and show horses as well, but I don't have the money for it now. :(

Always wanted to do something like homesteading too... Never showed, but I really can't afford my pony either (working part-time to keep her), but I've had her 20 years (she's 22 going on 4) so I'll just keep her till the end, then no more horsies... I've got a gig and keep meaning to teach her to drive...

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
RC chopper? Cool! Always wanted to get into that more than I did, never got past balsa wood model planes... then I found horses... and boys... and wood carving, drawing, beadwork, wirework, rebuilding Chevettes, armourmaking, winemaking, martial arts, swordwork, jogging... I just wanna know how the hell I once had time for a full time job...

I'm kinda new to flying RC Heli's; they're tougher 'n hell. I'd amaze you at flying a 3d aircraft though, hang it on the propeller then back it down till the rudder touches.

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
My boyfriend and I feel the same way. :) Last year for my birthday he got me a session to finish my backpiece. Totally awesome present, I may take a page out of his book and do the same this year so he can get his brewing/ meadmaking sleeves finished.

I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into designing my backpiece (we're talking tattoos, right?). She's a *really* good artist, but I think she think they're kind of tacky...I just have to keep working her ;)

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Nice byzantine maille! :) I'm making myself a stainless steel chainmaille watchband...

And my hubby made me a weapons rack for my b-day one year ;D

It's not byzantine. Or...well...the byzantine got their maille from scandinavia, so I guess you can call it that. This is a design found in ancient norse jewelry, but has later been found all over the world (except for Japan, which, for some reason, used an inverted design for all their maille that I know of)

I was also thinking about making a watchband, but my diving watch is a bit big, I'm not sure if it would hold while diving, and it would be a lot heavier.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into designing my backpiece (we're talking tattoos, right?). She's a *really* good artist, but I think she think they're kind of tacky...I just have to keep working her ;)

Yep, tattoos! My entire upper back is done in pieces from the Altamira and Lascaux caves. I also have a pegasus and my last horse's brand tattooed on me.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Always wanted to do something like homesteading too... Never showed, but I really can't afford my pony either (working part-time to keep her), but I've had her 20 years (she's 22 going on 4) so I'll just keep her till the end, then no more horsies... I've got a gig and keep meaning to teach her to drive...

I had my last horse about nine years ago. I had to put her to sleep when she coliced and her intestines twisted. :( We did basic dressage and a little jumping, she was only seven so it was really early in her life. I've always wanted to learn to drive, but I've never had the horse for it! I'm planning on learning side-saddle in the near future, once I get some college debt paid off. :D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
It's not byzantine. Or...well...the byzantine got their maille from scandinavia, so I guess you can call it that.

I've never done jewlery of that style, but my armourmaster's wife does and she calls it byzantine... however I'll call her on that next time it comes up! :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I had my last horse about nine years ago. I had to put her to sleep when she coliced and her intestines twisted.

Sorry to hear about your mare... mine's had a couple of really weird infections including erlichia and leptospirosis (the lepto left her with some mild eye damage and a need for anti-inflamatories for the rest of her life), but colic has never been a problem for her so far, although the collection of melanomas currently growing in her digestive tract will probably cause impaction colics eventually... Grey horses, what can you do... We only do little jumps because I ride bareback, my knees can't take short stirrups and you bounce off on the other side if you jump anything big without stirrups... Must get the tyres changed on the gig so we can see if she kills us all when I hitch her up to it :)

I'd love to have a hobby farm and enough critters to be self-sufficient (would definitely include a beehive!) but my hubby hates the great outdoors unless there's a rifle or heavy equipment involved, so I'd end up with all the chores, not in the cards at the moment, we're too busy making armour in the metal shop...

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake

Do love the homestead concept...that's a long term goal...would love to do loom weaving and spinning...and bee keeping, of course.

wy_white_wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2010
I've been building a Cabin in the mountains.

100_0629.jpg

Eventually we'll be homesteaders on the place. Until then just doing what I can to get ready.

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I've never done jewlery of that style, but my armourmaster's wife does and she calls it byzantine... however I'll call her on that next time it comes up! :)

Didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but by using this search, I did at least get a lot of references to vikings being "the byzantine guard". Also, if you look at the weapons and armor, you'll see a distinct viking style, as opposed to the rest of the armors and weapons from the same time and period in other parts of the army and guards down there.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns