Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gotmead now on Tapatalk

I must be different from most then. I don't mind paying for work well done, and Tapatalk works well for me. $2 seems a small price to pay in appreciation to me.

That 'the internet must be free' thing is also why sites with membership options only see single digit signups when they have tens of thousands of members. Shame, that. I pay memberships on sites I use a lot, for the same reason, reward and appreciation for a job well done. Only seems fair.
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    I must be different from most then. I don't mind paying for work well done, and Tapatalk works well for me. $2 seems a small price to pay in appreciation to me.

That 'the internet must be free' thing is also why sites with membership options only see single digit signups when they have tens of thousands of members. Shame, that. I pay memberships on sites I use a lot, for the same reason, reward and appreciation for a job well done. Only seems fair.
    Yes you are right. I am using talkatalk now. It works great and was worth $2.99
    Primary: Welches Grape Wine
    Primary: Blackberry Melomel
    Primary: Joe Mattioli's Foolproof Ancient Orange

3. Default

Kudapucat, No worries, I don't take it personally. I think I need to explain what I said as after re-reading, I don't think my point was clear.
    To me, since I don't mind reading the page from my phone's browser, and since GotMead and HomeBrewTalk are the only forums I ever read (even on the PC) I have no NEED for a program like Tapatalk. I don't mind supporting a great program, if it is one I want and/or has a perceived value to me. I doubt anyone buys any product just because it is a great product even if they don't need it.
    My other point was that if there was a GotMead program where Vicky got the cost of the program I would purchase it more in support of the site then as a need for the program. (which reminds me my premium membership needs to be renewed)
    As far as the cultural differences Oskaar mentions, the only thing I want to know is, what the heck is a 2 bob watch?

As always many, many thanks to Vicky for everything that she does and kudos to her for doing things to improve this site.

-SpamDog

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post

Sorry to say I still can't see the value in TapaTalk...

But I've been considering upgrading to a premium membership Maybe I should stop considering.
    #! /bin/ksh
    export PATH
    CLI=`whoami`
    Signature()
    {for i in $CLI^Jdo^Jecho yes $i my .sig inhales^Jdone}

Quote Originally Posted by SpamDog View Post
    <snip>
    As far as the cultural differences Oskaar mentions, the only thing I want to know is, what the heck is a 2 bob watch?
    <snip>
    -SpamDog
    "bob" is another term for Shilling, as in 1/20 Pounds Sterling.
    It can refer to dollar occasionly when referred to by one of the old folks who still count in antiquated systems over here.

Therefore a 2 bob watch is a cheap and nasty watch or synonym for any cheap and nast product.

Another similar proverb is a 'Two bit <insert crass term for prostitute>'
    Where a bit is a piece of silver, cut as a wedge from a Spanish Dolars. So this is probably your equivalent.

So, there's our lesson in lexicology for the day. ;-)
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

My Social Networking

Follow wildoates On Twitter Add wildoates on Facebook

A bit is 12.5 cents, making two bits a quarter, which is indeed a very cheap...anything these days.

My dad's family used bits quite often, things were 4 bits or 6, I grew up thinking it was common. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
    A bit is 12.5 cents, making two bits a quarter, which is indeed a very cheap...anything these days.

My dad's family used bits quite often, things were 4 bits or 6, I grew up thinking it was common. Silly me.
    Ahhh apparently it's been equated from a Spanish Dollar to a US dollar, I had thought they were wedges cut at 1/8 but wasn't sure, so your 12.5c makes sense...
    As a Spanish dollar was Silver, is this perhaps where the American 'Silver Dollar' originated?

(So far OT now, but if nobody minds...)
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12