• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gotmead now on Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
The goal this year is to totally update Gotmead. My first sally (just because it is cool and I want to try it out) was to put Gotmead.com on Tapatalk. Tapatalk is an app on Itunes and Android stores, and allows you to view and post on your favorite forums from your smart phone or tablet.

Try it out, and enjoy!

(More coolness to come in the coming months as I slowly update the entire site, layout, forum and tools.)

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for keeping up with the forums Vicky. Posting this from my droid, but not sure I want to pay for tapatalk. Just not sure how much use I would get from it since the forums work fine from the droid browser anyway. I promise to take a good look at it though.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I do most of my posting from my Android without Tapatalk as well. Dolphin browser works very well with the GotMead.Com forums.

Cheers,

Oskar

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I am also using dolphin, but I'd be interested in hearing about the benefits of tapatalk,from anyone that is using it.

Ditto, I don't want to be negative when people are working on making things better for me! Vicky and Oskaar, you guys get big thanks for the hard work. I do know how hard it is! Let me know if I can help somehow

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
The best thing about it is it's properly formatted for the small screen.
All the links on the left go, all the pretty gotmead at the top and the blurb about donating.
So when you want to read a post you don't have to scroll down so much.
You don't have to zoom in to be able to hit the reply button without hitting a different button.
When you finish typing, you don't have to hide the keyboard and then find the add reply button.
Best of all, it only loads what you need, the post you want to see, so all those pretty graphics and green background don't have to be loaded through my sometimes not even there slow connection.
Speaking of which if the connection drops out tapatalk just waits and then continues, you don't have to try loading from scratch anymore.

I'm using an iPhone, not a droog, so I don't know if their browser fixes any of this, but the apple browser has full functionality, I just don't like having. To zoom in to read the text then having to zoom out to navigate only to zoom in to be able to hit a button.

If the forum detected a phone and presented differently it wouldn't be so bad, but tapatalk's a lot easier to implement than that!!

Oh yeah. Photos. The expect to be able to open a window to take a file path, but this just doesn't work with iPhones. So tapatalk allows me to upload photos.

I use it on a couple of sites.

This is the first brewing forum I use that has implemented it, so Vicki, you're not slow, in my little sphere, gotmead is a world first :)

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Thanks Kudapu,

I was impressed when I got a pop-up today notifying me of the ability to handle tapatalk. Even more impressed when I still got the page I wanted.

Web sites that redirect/force mobile annoy the heck out of me

http://xkcd.com/869/

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
One small problem Vicki.
Tapatalk kindly opens the most recent post for you. But because gotmead kindly reverses the order, tapatalk always shows you the first post.
Could you look into the settings and see if you could reverse this fir me?
Thanks a bunch.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
You can make the change yourself! While the default setting is oldest message first, you can go into Options in your User CP (look for the button in the line of white text buttons near the top of this page), then drill down to options, and finally to thread display options. Choose "newest first," and you'll be good to go!

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Wayne I think you misunderstand.

I like newest first.
I use the web page and when I click on a thread I get the newest appearing. Yay!
In tapatalk I get the same thing, but tapatalk opens the last page, showing the first post.
If I change it as you say, then it will change for tapatalk and for web, thereby now making the web page work backwards.
I just want them to work the same way.
It's not a problem except I have to open a thread, scroll to the top and choose page 1 not page 50.
This becomes an issue when, like now, Internet connectivity is sporadic.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I'll concur with Oskaar and Loadnabox. The only issue for me about using tapatalk is the £1.79 that it tells me about when I look at the Android market.

I manage fine, just using the browser........

Plus, the only forum thing that I have as an app in my phone, it the one that homebrewtalk have produced and it's still not as effective/helpful as the browser based version so I stick with that.

SpamDog

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
I will probably keep using the browser on my phone, I like the idea of a program, but have heard bad security things about tapatalk, plus I don't really want to pay for something I don't need, unless the cost went to GotMead.

What I can't wait for is the Mead Calculator App! Now that I would pay a few bucks for!

SpamDog

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
It's less than a 2 bob watch, and a hell of a lot more reliable and useful.
If it's insecure... Oh no! Somebody may post things that make me look like a fool on gotmead!
Sorry, but these apps are SO cheap I just don't get it. As for gotmead getting the money, make a donation. These guys wrote a good app, just like gotmead is well run.
Grr! I understand if you don't like it, but seriously who's going to quibble over $1.50????
Spamdog, this is not aimed just at you. You're about the 4th person to comment on the cost.
-rant over-

I like it. I use it. I'm thankful.
Also: implementing the 'participated' in threads, that's grand. No other forum I visit has done that...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It's less than a 2 bob watch, and a hell of a lot more reliable and useful.
If it's insecure... Oh no! Somebody may post things that make me look like a fool on gotmead!
Sorry, but these apps are SO cheap I just don't get it. As for gotmead getting the money, make a donation. These guys wrote a good app, just like gotmead is well run.
Grr! I understand if you don't like it, but seriously who's going to quibble over $1.50????
Spamdog, this is not aimed just at you. You're about the 4th person to comment on the cost.
-rant over-

I like it. I use it. I'm thankful.
Also: implementing the 'participated' in threads, that's grand. No other forum I visit has done that...

Cultural differences plain and simple. Android users generally look for the free stuff, plus being able to root the phone very easily gives us a little more flexibility with making our own tweaks. Just an OSI vs Proprietary architecture generalization. That and it displays and works perfectly on my HTC EVO so I don't have any need to use a 3rd party app to tweak on GotMead.

I do administrative tasks, post and respond to PM's (even banned a spammer a couple of days ago) all on my EVO with no need for a third party app.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns