• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Thinking on MCI 2012

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Take a look at http://www.mazercup.com in the Meadery Competition link under the style guidelines. The category you would want to use would be:

8. Specialty (Open Category) :
This open category is for Honeywine that does not fit into any other category

8A - Specialty (Open Category) – Dry
8B - Specialty (Open Category) – Semi-Sweet
8C - Specialty (Open Category) - Sweet

The additions you are contemplating would alter the mead and disallow it in the Traditional and Varietal categories.

Hope that helps,

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
Take a look at http://www.mazercup.com in the Meadery Competition link under the style guidelines. The category you would want to use would be:

8. Specialty (Open Category) :
This open category is for Honeywine that does not fit into any other category

8A - Specialty (Open Category) – Dry
8B - Specialty (Open Category) – Semi-Sweet
8C - Specialty (Open Category) - Sweet

The additions you are contemplating would alter the mead and disallow it in the Traditional and Varietal categories.

Hope that helps,

Thank you.

Un abrazo.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
This may be a dumb question, but I was under the impression that unless the oak or tannin really hit you over the head, a person might be best off entering them under traditional even though that's technically wrong. For example, if the oak is extremely subtle, and the tannin is just rounding out the flavour rather than sitting on top as it's own distinct taste...

I know entering things into the wrong category is at the entrants own risk obviously, but I have some oaked/tannin'd meads that really to me don't seem like they'd make any sense at all in open category. I remember this being discussed last year and I thought the verdict was that oak and tannin (and or acid) were fine for traditional as long as they were subtle?

I might have to be careful with some of my own entries in 2012 here!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Alan, you're correct; we did have this discussion at the last MCI, and everyone concurred that if the oak and/or tannic contributions were not readily obvious, and only served to enhance the overall profile of the mead, then those additions did not force the mead to be entered in the open category. This is consistent with the BJCP Guidelines (2008 version) which says, "If citrus, tea or oak additives result in flavor components above a low, background, balance-adjusting level, the resulting mead should be entered appropriately (as a metheglin or open...)." Now those are somewhat subjective criteria, as one person's "background" may be another's "in your face," so I would caution everyone to restrict traditional entries to only those meads that have slight oak or tannic characteristics, and a dominant profile from the honey itself.

That's the criteria for home entries; the commercial rules are somewhat different, but although I don't have the commercial guidelines in front of me at the moment, I think the discussion of oak and tannin is pretty similar in there.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This is for the commercial meadery entrants folks. BJCP rules are not germain, and the mead is held to a different standard, a professional standard because the professional folks have more control over their product and should be able to hit their marks. Adding subtle doses of flavor enhancements in a commercial mead and then entering it as a traditional is being less than honest.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
This is for the commercial meadery entrants folks. BJCP rules are not germain, and the mead is held to a different standard, a professional standard because the professional folks have more control over their product and should be able to hit their marks. Adding subtle doses of flavor enhancements in a commercial mead and then entering it as a traditional is being less than honest.

Cheers,

Oskaar

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good ...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm just a soul whose intentions are good ...

No problem at all Noe! I know that you asked here in order to be sure that you were being honest and above-board. It's always better to ask up front just like you did here!

Cheers,

Pete

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns