• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket

Barrel Char Wood Products

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
I have a 5 gallon bucket and 5 one gallon jugs. But only have enough honey for 3 gallons. Can I use 3 gallons in the 5 gallon bucket for primary and then rack out to 3 separate 1 gallon jugs when it's done with primary?

I'd rather not have to do 3 separate batches. Any help is awesome. Thanks.

~Boog

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
There should be no problems fermenting a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon bucket. The CO2 produced during fermentation will keep the mead from a lot of exposure to the air.

A lot of people here ferment in larger primaries to prevent MEAs (Mead Eruption Accidents), myself being one of them. My last batch was a 6.5 gallon mel, well 10 gallons with the fruit, and that was fermented in a 20 gallon primary.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I even do 1-gal batches in a 5-gal pail, it's never hurt anything so far! And it's a lot better for aeration too.

fermental

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 2, 2011
i am curious if the extra head space would cause less CO2 to be absorbed by the mead making it age better as the CO2 wouldnt need to escape, less fizzy when young :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
This is purely anecdotal, but when I've run side by side batches, one in a full 6-gal pail and the other in a half-full 3 gal pail, the one in the 3-gal pail usually finishes first. It's got more headspace to take in air (as opposed to CO2) when you open the lid to aerate or degas, so it lets CO2 out more easily and takes in oxygen more easily.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
This is purely anecdotal, but when I've run side by side batches, one in a full 6-gal pail and the other in a half-full 3 gal pail, the one in the 3-gal pail usually finishes first. It's got more headspace to take in air (as opposed to CO2) when you open the lid to aerate or degas, so it lets CO2 out more easily and takes in oxygen more easily.

New Experiment/challenge for you CG

Try 5 gallons of mead in a 3 gallon bucket

;-)

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
Thanks for all the replies and I'm glad I can use the bucket for small batches. Too bad I asked this question a day too late. The reason i asked was because I had a MEA on Saturday.

Thanks again everyone.

~boog

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns