• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Interesting Podcast....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Boogaloo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2011
Silver Spring (right outside of DC)
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2011/08/17/making-mead-with-curt-stock-beersmith-podcast-20/

Found this podcast online. Thought it might be useful for newbees like me. It's about 40mins long and covers:

Topics in This Week’s Episode (38:22)

This week’s guest is Curt Stock, the 2005 AHA Mead Maker of the year and long time homebrewer.
Curt discusses the basics of mead – any fermented drink made from honey
He explains the mead making process including what you need to brew mead if you are already brewing beer
We talk about how you can use modern techniques to keep the yeast healthy and significantly reduce the time needed to make mead (down to a few months)
Curt shares his thoughts on honey and where to get it
We talk through mead yeast and what Curt recommends for most meads
Nutrients are a critical part of mead-making as the yeast will not thrive without them. Curt shares the nutrients he uses as well as how to adjust your pH.
Aeration is critical for mead throughout the meadmaking process. Curt tells us when and how to oxygenate your beer, when to stop doing it and how to remove some of the CO2 later in fermentation to aid in fermentation
We talk about fruits and spices used to make many popular meads and when to add them
Curt shares his thoughts on clarity and enhancing clarity
We talk about making the leap from beer brewing to mead making
Curt shares his final thoughts on mead making

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for sharing. :) I had the privilege to talk to Curt over some mead at this year's NHC, and it was very informative. I'm glad to see he's just as willing to share his thoughts and process on the podcast, since it sure helped me.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns