• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Greasy residue around inner neck of glass jug...what made it?

Barrel Char Wood Products

keepitlow

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 27, 2009
NE US
Was using 1 gallon glass bottles for my main fermenter. Recipe used Sams honey, water and natural yeast on some raisins. Don't have the recipe in front of me, but it was high honey mix. Maybe a 1:1 dilution with water. But could have been a 1 : 2? Anyway, it was a high honey concentration.

It seemed to ferment OK in primary. After 15 months in gal jug it would not clear. I noticed the airlock had black mold in it. So decided it had enough time to work. Tasted the mix and it was sweet, but offered very little alcohol taste. Trashed it.

When cleaning out the glass jug, I rubbed around the inner neck of the bottle to clean out some of the reside. It was very greasy and would not wash off my fingers with water. Had to use lots of soap to cut the grease.

How can honey, water and some natural yeast make grease? I'm wondering if the Sams honey had adulterants in it?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Could be "adulterated" honey, or it could be from the raisins. Sometimes raisins are available coated in corn syrup or the like. I've noticed a very greasy like residue after using raisins that had this corn syrup coating. Dunno what else it might've been. If it was indeed due to the raisins having a corn syrup coating, I'd suggest soaking them in water a couple of times until there is no more greasy/oily stuff on them before using. It works pretty well, and then that gunk doesn't wind up in the batch.

As for the batch, so sad that you decided to dump it! Most times you can salvage batches like that with some vigorous champagne yeast. A naturally occurring yeast can be unpredictable, and you did it no favors by starting with such a high gravity must. I realize it was only Sam's Club honey and only a 1 gallon batch, but dumping a batch should really only happen if you know you can't save it. Even then, most mead failures can be used as a unique marinade/cooking wine. Just something to keep in mind for future batches.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
Certain wild yeast strains can also make different types of films that have a weird texture. Here is a link to a bunch of photos: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/

It can look pretty gross if you are not used to sour beer fermentations. It doesn't sound like your case is this dramatic, but I've definitely seen wild yeast make a layer of what looks like grease floating at the top of your brew, and it will cling to the glass some.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Raisins are often coated with vegetable oil so they don't clump... although the only time I've had it be an issue was when I used 8 lb for a gallon...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns