• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Juniper Berry Metheglin

Barrel Char Wood Products

cjuenchico27

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 19, 2011
Jersey, Channel Islands, UK
I'm thinking about making a Juniper Berry Metheglin in June when one of my carboys is freed up. I'm just going to start with a gallon to see if i can get it right but i just want to take a lot of time to make sure i get my recipe right and all the amounts and ingredients etc.

Here's my preliminary recipe:

3.5lbs Wildflower Honey
1/2 a Nutmeg
1 Teaspoon Dried Juniper Berries (possibly more?)
5-6 grams Cascade Hops
1 teaspoon Sugar
Sachet of Lalvin EC-1118

Thats the basic recipe I've compiled from my research.... Is there anything I've missed? And are my amounts all ok? Also, is there any need for any yeast energiser or nutrient?

Hope its all ok..... but at least I've got till June to get everything right. :)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
There are a few discussions here on "juniper berries" and "gin flavors" around. It's one of those things on my do make list. Have some berries, just need to put a recipe together.

Why the addition of sugar?

Yes to energiser or nutrient. If you havn't yet, I recommend reading the newbee guide. You can find the link in the menu box to your left.

I will be looking forward to watching your progress.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
I would go higher on the juniper. I made a batch with about 2 tablespoons per gallon that I thought was not too much.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I froze a couple handfuls of juniper berries I picked at the cottage, still haven't decided what to do with them... or how much to add.

M63Ural

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2010
Rapid City SD
I havent tried Juniper in mead, but in my test batches of beer a handful in a gallon is not to much. You could go the whole gin route and go for coriander, lime zest, cardomom et all. I like gin so it sounds good to me.

Jim

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
You need to check the dates on these before you comment. This is from six years ago, most of the people are long gone and the originator hasn't posted anything since 2012.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Start with 1 tsp of Juniper and taste frequently. It can get strong fast. Look up smreka for more Juniper mead logs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeadyHead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 5, 2018
I know this thread is old but I am glad that it has been resurrected because I was just contemplating making a mead with Juniper and other botanicals! Glad to hear it works and a few ideas about recipes too!

58limited

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
May 25, 2015
SE Texas
www.1958buickforum.net
I know this thread is old but I am glad that it has been resurrected because I was just contemplating making a mead with Juniper and other botanicals! Glad to hear it works and a few ideas about recipes too!

Me too, been thinking recently of using juniper berries and spruce tips - not necessarily in the same mead but could be good to use both. I'll have to order the spruce tips next season (want fresh) but we have tons of fresh juniper berries available in the hill country and in central Texas.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns