• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

StarSan

Barrel Char Wood Products

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
The StarSan directions say: For all applications, allow to air dry(but surface must remain wet for at least one minute), do not rinse after application.

So, do y'all do that? Let equipment you've sanitized with StarSan air dry before you use it?

Because if you do, I don't see the big advantage time wise, over what I've been doing(bleach in water for 15 minutes) since it would take I would think, a good 15+ minutes for whatever you sprayed with the StarSan to air dry....

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I don't bother to allow my equipment or bottles to dry fully before use. The "air dry" instruction on Star San really is more intended to mean "don't wipe dry." That's to prevent any surface-to-surface contamination that could occur from mechanical drying with a towel or the like.

I do try to shake off excess Star San before using anything that I've treated with it, however. No need to subject my meads (or myself) to any more unnecessary organic chemicals than I am already exposed to in every day living. ;)

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Thanks Wayneb for your relevant input, much appreciated.

Yes I know better than to towel dry after spraying StarSan, but wasn't sure about the slippery surfactant/protective coat still being wet might decrease StarSan's effectiveness. Must not matter much. Thanks again.

Old_Skool

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2010
North of Kalifornia
Have used Starsan for over 30 batches of beer - zero contamination issues.

Mix exactly as directed (close as possible) - I forget what the amount is for 5 gal but on brew day I use half that amount into 2.5gal in a clean 5gal plastic bucket (buy one and a lid at your local home improvement store). Mix it up pop the lid on and you have a "sanitizer chamber".

Also buy a quality 16oz spray bottle - fill it from the mix you just made. Now you have a spray on sanitizer. Wash and rinse things well (rinsing is equally important) then sanitize before use.

Waiting for 1 or 2 minutes is a Fed Standard for commercial operations etc. (Cleaning a 300gal tank) - wet the surface well let sit for 10-20 sec and you are good to go. And it is a true no rinse sanitizer --- its not a soap but just a solution at a ph of 3. Drain or shake off any excess and proceed.

I tried the iodine stuff -- and lets not even think about bleach --- starsan is as easy as it gets .... and I'm freakin' lazy :cool:

veritas

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 7, 2007
Wisconsin BEER Capitol USA
I don't bother to allow my equipment or bottles to dry fully before use. The "air dry" instruction on Star San really is more intended to mean "don't wipe dry." That's to prevent any surface-to-surface contamination that could occur from mechanical drying with a towel or the like.

I do try to shake off excess Star San before using anything that I've treated with it, however. No need to subject my meads (or myself) to any more unnecessary organic chemicals than I am already exposed to in every day living. ;)

This is the same for me.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
There is a little saying over in the beer homebrewing world: "Don't fear the foam." Meaning, just dump the star san out and dump in your must. No need to worry about the tiny amount of remaining star san and foam.

Old_Skool

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2010
North of Kalifornia
There is a little saying over in the beer homebrewing world: "Don't fear the foam." Meaning, just dump the star san out and dump in your must. No need to worry about the tiny amount of remaining star san and foam.

Exactly !!!! This is not a soap ---- dump or shake off any excess and go.

And since this solution is trying to reach a certain pH - to dissolve the cell walls of bacteria - do your best to mix to the proper levels

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns