Thread: How to treat fruit before adding?

Default How to treat fruit before adding?

Should fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries in particular) be crushed/minced/etc., or thrown in whole? The recipes I see read "add fruit," but don't say how the fruit should be treated. I would think that whole cherries would ferment much differently than crushed or minced cherries.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tripleoh; 02-23-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by tripleoh View Post
    Should fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries in particular) be crushed/minced/etc., or thrown in whole? The recipes I see read "add fruit," but don't say how the fruit should be treated. I would think that whole cherries would ferment much differently than crushed or minced cherries.

Thanks.
    I think the idea is to burst the cell walls, so many people freeze, then thaw them.
    Then, soak them in a bit of k-meta or campden tablet water with pectinase for 24 hours before pitching yeast. You can chop, blend, crush them or whatever you're ready to deal with.
    Some put them in a grain bag or some let them float loose.
    Some put fruit in the secondary instead of primary, or both.
    Have fun experimenting is my method.

Mincing fruit isn't recommended. As its usually very messy and the pulp can be a bugger to remove.

Pit/stone fruit is often pitted before freezing.

The freeze thaw method is to break the cell walls to allow the yeast to get to the juice and sugars quicker.....not always necessary, but can help.

Seed fruit can also be frozen and thawed, then its up to you whether you squash it down before adding but that can also get messy, so either loose or in a bag......

Some will sulphite the fruit as above but I've not had any problems in just checking it in an active fement
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

I mash the fruit (rough chop of large fruit, try to pierce each berry for something small like currants or blueberries), put it in a bag, put the bag in the must and add pectinase, give it 24 hours for the pectinase to do its thing and then check the SG and add the yeast. If it's a fruit that's likely to spoil before I get the yeast in there, I'll sometimes steam it first or use 1 campden tablet per gallon 24 hours before I add the pectinase. So far the only fruit I find I have to do this with regularly is pears, I don't bother steaming, boiling or sulphiting any other fruits unless my batch is less than optimum and I've got apples that are starting to ferment on their own or fruit that's been baldy bruised through rough handling.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014

When I used cherries I just pitted them, gave them a gentle squeeze with a potato masher, and tossed them in. The yeast do the rest.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Like I said, you'll have to deal with however you treat the fruit :-)
    Your first racking should give you a clue as to how you'll deal with fruit next time.