• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to treat fruit before adding?

Barrel Char Wood Products

tripleoh

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 5, 2011
Lakewood, OH
Should fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries in particular) be crushed/minced/etc., or thrown in whole? The recipes I see read "add fruit," but don't say how the fruit should be treated. I would think that whole cherries would ferment much differently than crushed or minced cherries.

Thanks.

Last edited:

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Should fruit (raspberries, blueberries, cherries in particular) be crushed/minced/etc., or thrown in whole? The recipes I see read "add fruit," but don't say how the fruit should be treated. I would think that whole cherries would ferment much differently than crushed or minced cherries.

Thanks.

I think the idea is to burst the cell walls, so many people freeze, then thaw them.
Then, soak them in a bit of k-meta or campden tablet water with pectinase for 24 hours before pitching yeast. You can chop, blend, crush them or whatever you're ready to deal with.
Some put them in a grain bag or some let them float loose.
Some put fruit in the secondary instead of primary, or both.
Have fun experimenting is my method.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Mincing fruit isn't recommended. As its usually very messy and the pulp can be a bugger to remove.

Pit/stone fruit is often pitted before freezing.

The freeze thaw method is to break the cell walls to allow the yeast to get to the juice and sugars quicker.....not always necessary, but can help.

Seed fruit can also be frozen and thawed, then its up to you whether you squash it down before adding but that can also get messy, so either loose or in a bag......

Some will sulphite the fruit as above but I've not had any problems in just checking it in an active fement

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I mash the fruit (rough chop of large fruit, try to pierce each berry for something small like currants or blueberries), put it in a bag, put the bag in the must and add pectinase, give it 24 hours for the pectinase to do its thing and then check the SG and add the yeast. If it's a fruit that's likely to spoil before I get the yeast in there, I'll sometimes steam it first or use 1 campden tablet per gallon 24 hours before I add the pectinase. So far the only fruit I find I have to do this with regularly is pears, I don't bother steaming, boiling or sulphiting any other fruits unless my batch is less than optimum and I've got apples that are starting to ferment on their own or fruit that's been baldy bruised through rough handling.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
When I used cherries I just pitted them, gave them a gentle squeeze with a potato masher, and tossed them in. The yeast do the rest. ;D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hey Crowing, don't be afraid to start a new thread asking a question that's only slightly related to an old thread, rather than resurrecting something like this one. Go ahead and say "I was searching for <whatever you were looking for> and found this <link to really old thread> and had a question: ".

New threads are the same price as old ones :)

And in answer: most of the recipes I see recommend 24 hours with pectinase before you pitch. A nice Dutch guy named Luc has done a bunch of experiments with pectinase exploring the various "established procedures" (does it work in the cold, does it work with campden tabs, does it work in alcohol, does it work during vigorous fermentation etc), check his blog out: http://wijnmaker.blogspot.ca/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns