My maple meads made with EC1118 in a carboy start at 1.125 and usually poop out around 1.030 (repeated at least 4 times now), using nutrients and lemon juice (like you're not supposed to :P) and the time I tried making it "properly" by using nutrients, energizer and a proper aeration schedule, got a batch down to 1.025... next time I'm gonna try using a primary bucket with lots of headspace for even better aeration and a staggered nutrient addition. I did check the pH with strips and apparently that was NOT the problem. And Owlhawk, seeing as how we're practically neighbours if you pm me your mailing address I'll mail you a handful of pH strips, I'm never gonna use 'em all.
"The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
"Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G