• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Another inquiry for you experienced mead makers:

Regarding melomels, what's your preference: Do you prefer to add fruit initially before primary fermentation or do you usually wait until secondary fermentation phase to add the fruit? Thanks for your input.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
First one I did was all in primary, turned out ok.

Second and third were half and half. Also ok, better than first.

Since then, its been 1/3 and 2/3. Which seems to give me the level of fruit flavour I like. Along with back sweetening to about 1.015

Sprigg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2012
I've only done one batch so far, but I did a regular JAO and racked some over blueberries, and that bottle is very, very nice. :D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've only ever done fruit in primary. I've liked most things I've made unless they're really dry.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
I do most in the primary, with maybe a little in the secondary to tweak flavors if needed/desired. You definitly get a different profile from during and post main fermentation...

speedreader

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2010
Done both. Both with good results. Usually if I do fruit in primary, I like to also do it in the secondary, just to boost some unfermented fruit flavor in the final.

paraordnance

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
I done both but my melomels still bulk aging. Seems like I get best flavor if I add half fruit in primary and half to secondary. The reason I like to add at least some fruit in primary is because its aids in fermentation and nutrients. Most of my melomels ferment out below 1.000 in less than a week. K1V, 1118, 71B and D47 all can completely ferment out in week or two if you add juice or fruit to primary. If you just ferment honey it can take month to finish.
I rack from the lees on sorbate + campden and then rack on fruit to secondary for a week. I do not let yeast ferment my fruit in secondary, I trying to preserve as much fruit flavor as possible. I have really good results doing that way.
One time I made raspberry melomel and used 1.5 lb/gal of fruit in primary and it was in your face, so I didn't added any to secondary. It turned out really good also

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
lol. ask 100 mead makers which is best and get 100 opinions!

So basically there are different factors to each way and you can make good (or bad...) results from any of them. They are definitely different, you will have to try them out!

in my opinion
primary: will integrate more of the fruit juice as it will ferment with the honey. It will also augment your SG and may require a little management (look up "cap management" for the gory details)

secondary: more of an infusion, may ferment some as well--keep that in mind if your batch is not necessarily finished and stable.

For your first mel, dont sweat it too much, there are much bigger details to focus on.

good luck, happy meading.

/wolfie

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
I have always put my fruit in the secondary. My reasoning, right or wrong, are two fold. First, because I like to have a strong fruit flavor. Although I do realize that I could put some fruit in the primary and than add more later in the secondary. Secondly I can make up like 5 gallons of a base mead and when it finishes I then divide it up into 1 gallon batches experimenting with different fruits/spices/insert wierdomel ingredient here. ;)

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
I have always put my fruit in the secondary. My reasoning, right or wrong, are two fold. First, because I like to have a strong fruit flavor. Although I do realize that I could put some fruit in the primary and than add more later in the secondary. Secondly I can make up like 5 gallons of a base mead and when it finishes I then divide it up into 1 gallon batches experimenting with different fruits/spices/insert wierdomel ingredient here. ;)

You can get a big fruit flavor from adding fruit to the primary, but it may take more fruit than you are used to using. Also it would restrict your secondary expirmentation, as they would all start with the same fruit profile...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns