Thread: Yeast past expiration date.

1. Default Yeast past expiration date.

Not a question just an observation.

Yesterday I put together a show mead with some wild blueberry honey.

After getting everything secure in the primary I started cleaning up and noticed the expiration date on the yeast package was 1/2011. This was over a year past, still started, and is merrily bubbling away. A little worried until I got home this evening and saw it working.

Yeast was 71B-1122

Need to manage my supplies better.

All the Best,
    D. White

I think we've all run into pulling a pack out of the fridge only to find we haven't been paying attention to the dates as closely as we should.

I've used dry yeast that is past its expiration date before. I usually double my normal pitch rate when I do. But it still seems to work well. Man, I'm cheap.

I at least make sure it's doing something after rehydration before I pitch it, if it's not doing anything obvious I add some must as if I was making an acclimated starter...

I keep my yeast refrigerated so it probably extends their viability for at least a couple months but I do try to use everything before it expires.

I did underpitch once with a packet of yeast that was expired by a couple months and hadn't been refrigerated (the packet that came with a wine kit that took a while for me to get to, survived at least one summer in my kitchen) and it took a while to get going and wasn't as quick as most wine kit fermentations I've done but it did eventually finish where it was supposed to.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

Cool

Dry yeasts in original pack, is pretty much bomb proof.

Expiry dates are added as its considered as a food product, hence the legal device of an expiry date, for the makers CYA.

I just make a starter to confirm the yeast viability.......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    I keep my yeast refrigerated so it probably extends their viability for at least a couple months but I do try to use everything before it expires.
    Didn't know that. I should be keeping my dry yeast packs in the fridge? Right now I've got them stashed in a cool dry closet.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
    Didn't know that. I should be keeping my dry yeast packs in the fridge? Right now I've got them stashed in a cool dry closet.
    Definitely keep them in the fridge. Every LHBS I've ever been to in the 4 states I've lived store them that way.

8. Default

This had been stored in the fridge.

This batch is really rockin' and rollin' too. Glad the yeast worked.

All the Best,
    D. White

There is a drop off in viability with age for sure, though I think it would take a long time to be completely dead if it were kept refrigerated. One of the yeast manufacturers has some handy guidelines for the % drop off in viability over time, but I don't remember which one (maybe Lalvin?).