• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A few questions about my first mead (JAO)

Barrel Char Wood Products

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
Okay, I'm getting the stuff together to make a batch, but a question occurred to me: If you stuff the orange through the neck to get it in to the bottle, how do you get it back out?

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
Okay, that's not too bad. I had images of having to throw out one gallon bottles full of orange segments, cause I just couldn't get them out.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
If you have some stubborn pieces you can also fill the carboy with water and than tip it over the sink and the pressure of the water coming out usually pushes the fruit out with it.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Oooh. Physics is your phriend.

lol. Maybe I should take that Physics class that I've been avoiding for my degree if it's that easy. Maybe I'll be able to find a Physics professer that brews beer/makes mead to be my tutor.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Everything's easier if you can relate it to beer--or mead, but I have yet to actually brew any of that yet.

Plan on getting addicted. Which really isn't a bad thing with Mead since the aging process takes a while. I try to make Mead at least once a month so that I have a constant stream of mead in some stage in the process. Almost every month something is being enjoyed, something is aging in the bottles, something is aging in carboys, something is fermenting and something is being made.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I'm still in the beginning of that cycle! The stuff I fermented first is still aging.

It's a process. I stopped for a while when I knew I would be moving (full carboys are a pain to move) and it ruined the cycle and I ran out of bottled mead in the process. After about 18 months I'm fully into that cycle again.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Sounds like a good plan. I may have to get a few more gallon jugs to fully implement the cycle.

I think I have a total of two 6 gallon carboys, two 5 gallon carboys, two 3 gallon carboys and 18 1 gallon carboys along with two 7.5 gallon buckets, three 6 gallon buckets and two 2.5 gallon buckets and a 5 gallon bottling bucket.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
So you are saying that when I actually buy a house, it's gonna be to make room for my brewing habit?

Yeah that is pretty much how it goes. Never used to care about a basement, but now it's a must have for storing those aging carboys and bottles. And lets not forget about extra sinks with enough space to wash the larger carboys in. A place to put a bar in would be nice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns