Thread: 4 week quick cyzer question

Default 4 week quick cyzer question

I am making a batch of the 4 week quick cyzer discussed in this thread. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7449
    In the recipe instructions it states that when the SG = 1.017 remove the airlock, put on the jug cap and put it in the fridge. This seems like a bottle bomb in the making to me. Should I leave the airlock on untill the fermentation slows or put the cap on loosely?

Thanks for your input.
    Vandall

Farther down in that same thread it was mentioned that they put the top on loosely to allow CO2 to escape. It was also mentioned that you could just leave the airlock on.

Scott

Thanks for the quick response. My keen grasp of the obvious must have slipped that day.

Vandall

No problem, I commonly miss little details like that and have to ask questions too

I would think that fermentation would stop very quickly in the fridge too, so most of your co2 would probably just be from the degassing of the mead.. which probably doesn't pose quite so much risk for bottle bombs..

Scott

I would cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. I wouldn't leave the airlock on it as the rapid cooling will create a vaccum in the bottle- potentially sucking in the airlock fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by Robusto View Post
    I would cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge. I wouldn't leave the airlock on it as the rapid cooling will create a vaccum in the bottle- potentially sucking in the airlock fluid...
    Usually not a problem unless your airlock is overfilled. I would go with plastic wrap myself but mostly because there's not enough headspace for the airlock in my fridge and I don't have caps for most of my carboys.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G