• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Who else is making mead in the Hackettstown, NJ area?

Barrel Char Wood Products

The_Bishop

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hackettstown, NJ
Just got back from a trip to the supermarket, and decided to stop in at Donaldson's Farm, as they're open on their Gluten Free day.

Well, after talking to the woman at the counter about their honey, I found out that I'm not the only one looking to buy larger quantities to make mead with... So who are you?! Which one of you is out there competing for local honey with me?! ;D

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Well, after talking to the woman at the counter about their honey, I found out that I'm not the only one looking to buy larger quantities to make mead with... So who are you?! Which one of you is out there competing for local honey with me?! ;D

I'm not competing with you, but one of the best thing about joining Got Mead was that I've found 6 other local mead makers I had no idea were out there. Always felt that it was me and the 3 commercial Meaderies in the area and that was all (B Nektar, Kuhnhenn's [both have always been very helpful to me, discussing recipes and stuff like that] and North Coast meaderies).

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
We need one of those maps with everyone's location (if you choose to reveal it). Then we could pull up the map and see who's close.

Either that or a connection subforum with each thread being a different state/country/what not. Obviously some states are big but we could introduce ourselves in it and it would be easy to scroll down a single thread to see who is close by.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
Either that or a connection subforum with each thread being a different state/country/what not. Obviously some states are big but we could introduce ourselves in it and it would be easy to scroll down a single thread to see who is close by.

I, personally, would find scrolling through was is sure to become an enormous forum a royal pain in my butt.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I, personally, would find scrolling through was is sure to become an enormous forum a royal pain in my butt.

I mean like NY would have its own Thread so you would only have to scroll through the NY thread to see if anyone lived near Glenn Falls. Michigan would have it's own thread so I could scroll through that to see who was near Detroit, etc I'm sure some states/countries/Provence/What Not would be longer than others, but still much easier than hoping you catch a location when someone posts (if they even have that part of their profile filled out. The map would be easier though.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
I mean like NY would have its own Thread so you would only have to scroll through the NY thread to see if anyone lived near Glenn Falls. Michigan would have it's own thread so I could scroll through that to see who was near Detroit, etc I'm sure some states/countries/Provence/What Not would be longer than others, but still much easier than hoping you catch a location when someone posts (if they even have that part of their profile filled out. The map would be easier though.

Yes, but I'd have to check NY, MA, VT and maybe NH and CT, depending on how close I was looking for people. Plus, I'd have to map the people to see where in the state they are. Trust me, someone in Buffalo is further from me than most people in new england.

Too much effort for most people I think. Especially since there are apps out there for this.

The_Bishop

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 24, 2012
Hackettstown, NJ
Well, I'd be happy to meet any local meadmakers. I could use some feedback on my results!

Also, the honey from Donaldson's is damned good. I bought one of the honey bears while I was there. Can't wait until they have their larger quantities available.

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
There is a GM Member Map (see link at the top of the page), but it seems to be out of order currently. It did work in the past. Basically a Google map with flags for member locations.

caffeine211

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Bishop,

I'm SW of Philly which is about 2 hours from Hackettstown... But it's not me that's been looking for their honey, although I have been searching for someone local that sells bulk honey.

Altricious

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
Glens Falls, NY
There is a GM Member Map (see link at the top of the page), but it seems to be out of order currently. It did work in the past. Basically a Google map with flags for member locations.

I emailed Vicky the other day about the link and she said she got rid of the map on purpose because it had a vulnerability and she just forgot about that link to it.

Bummer, a map would have been cool.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
Caffeine, I'd figure there'd be plenty of places for local honey in PA.

I can't get over how warm it is here today, we're at 78 degrees!

Ditto in Ohio, it's pretty crazy, but I'm not complaining either.

I'm just happy I nagged my landlord to put in an AC early last week

caffeine211

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Caffeine, I'd figure there'd be plenty of places for local honey in PA.

I can't get over how warm it is here today, we're at 78 degrees!

There are tons of places for local honey... but none that sell in bulk (60+ lbs)!

And yeah, the weather was amazing yesterday! It's a shame my bike is currently broken :angry3:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns