Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New and First Batch Going Well - I'm so excited

I think the orchard/farm near us had fresh pressed strawberry juice last summer. I know they had the peach and blackberry. I don't even like apples generally but this quick cyser changed my mind. The hard cider sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie Lady View Post
    I think the orchard/farm near us had fresh pressed strawberry juice last summer. I know they had the peach and blackberry. I don't even like apples generally but this quick cyser changed my mind. The hard cider sounds good.
    There are two orchards and three farms within a 30 minute drive for me. The orchards are peach and apricot, the farms are blackberry, blueberry and strawberry. Plus I have a winery that is about 12 miles from me that uses Cynthina grapes and they fresh press juice. So in the summer for the orchards and farms I plan to visit often, then the winery this fall. Should have some good cyser and maybe I'll even try a mix of some fermented grapes and mead. Don't you just love it when the creative juices get going?

I really like the idea of the cider and mead. I have 2 gallons of a caramel apple sparkling going that I plan to use just a portion of for blending

I never thought about the wineries selling juice. Will have to check into that. We have lots of little wineries around us. Muscadine and scuppernongs are a big deal here. I want to try a pyment with the local grapes this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie Lady View Post
    I never thought about the wineries selling juice. Will have to check into that. We have lots of little wineries around us. Muscadine and scuppernongs are a big deal here. I want to try a pyment with the local grapes this fall.
    That sounds wonderful. Oklahoma isn't really know for wineries, but there are at least 6 within a two hour drive. I know the one at Stonebluff sells the juices as I have bought it before. The cynthina grape makes a great Riesling or desert type wine so the blending should be great. I bet it would make a great Ice wine if I could get my hands on some slightly over ripe grapes, then freeze and press Stonebluff even sells their grape juice in these beautiful cobalt blue bottles that I plan to reuse

Update checked the gravity today its at 1.010, should be ready to rack to the secondary by the weekend. Yippy!

So now its a bit of a decision time. I had originally intended to flavor in the secondary, but there are just some many great recipes to choose from Its a good problem to have.

Oh and when I sampled it, it had a distinct pineapple flavor, odd but very good.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawJosey View Post
    So now its a bit of a decision time. I had originally intended to flavor in the secondary, but there are just some many great recipes to choose from Its a good problem to have.
    You can always rack into 1 gallon carboys and have 5 different flavors. Great way to get variety of meads right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKeyser View Post
    You can always rack into 1 gallon carboys and have 5 different flavors. Great way to get variety of meads right off the bat.
    TAKeyser that is exactly what I have planned. I do intended to leave one gallon alone as simple mead. So with the other 4 I have to find some great things to do with it. I think orange is a must, maybe some blueberry or blackberry, apple would be good. Oh well I have nothing pressing tonight so I think its off to the recipe section to plan the remaining 4 gallons

So many meads, so little time lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12