• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New and First Batch Going Well - I'm so excited

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sadie Lady

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 10, 2011
South Carolina
I think the orchard/farm near us had fresh pressed strawberry juice last summer. I know they had the peach and blackberry. I don't even like apples generally but this quick cyser changed my mind. The hard cider sounds good.

OutlawJosey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2012
Coweta, OK
I think the orchard/farm near us had fresh pressed strawberry juice last summer. I know they had the peach and blackberry. I don't even like apples generally but this quick cyser changed my mind. The hard cider sounds good.

There are two orchards and three farms within a 30 minute drive for me. The orchards are peach and apricot, the farms are blackberry, blueberry and strawberry. Plus I have a winery that is about 12 miles from me that uses Cynthina grapes and they fresh press juice. So in the summer for the orchards and farms I plan to visit often, then the winery this fall. Should have some good cyser and maybe I'll even try a mix of some fermented grapes and mead. Don't you just love it when the creative juices get going?

I really like the idea of the cider and mead. I have 2 gallons of a caramel apple sparkling going that I plan to use just a portion of for blending :)

Sadie Lady

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 10, 2011
South Carolina
I never thought about the wineries selling juice. Will have to check into that. We have lots of little wineries around us. Muscadine and scuppernongs are a big deal here. I want to try a pyment with the local grapes this fall.

OutlawJosey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2012
Coweta, OK
I never thought about the wineries selling juice. Will have to check into that. We have lots of little wineries around us. Muscadine and scuppernongs are a big deal here. I want to try a pyment with the local grapes this fall.

That sounds wonderful. Oklahoma isn't really know for wineries, but there are at least 6 within a two hour drive. I know the one at Stonebluff sells the juices as I have bought it before. The cynthina grape makes a great Riesling or desert type wine so the blending should be great. I bet it would make a great Ice wine if I could get my hands on some slightly over ripe grapes, then freeze and press :) Stonebluff even sells their grape juice in these beautiful cobalt blue bottles that I plan to reuse :)

OutlawJosey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2012
Coweta, OK
Update checked the gravity today its at 1.010, should be ready to rack to the secondary by the weekend. Yippy!

So now its a bit of a decision time. I had originally intended to flavor in the secondary, but there are just some many great recipes to choose from :) Its a good problem to have.

Oh and when I sampled it, it had a distinct pineapple flavor, odd but very good.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
So now its a bit of a decision time. I had originally intended to flavor in the secondary, but there are just some many great recipes to choose from :) Its a good problem to have.

You can always rack into 1 gallon carboys and have 5 different flavors. Great way to get variety of meads right off the bat.

OutlawJosey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 13, 2012
Coweta, OK
You can always rack into 1 gallon carboys and have 5 different flavors. Great way to get variety of meads right off the bat.

TAKeyser that is exactly what I have planned. I do intended to leave one gallon alone as simple mead. So with the other 4 I have to find some great things to do with it. I think orange is a must, maybe some blueberry or blackberry, apple would be good. Oh well I have nothing pressing tonight so I think its off to the recipe section to plan the remaining 4 gallons

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns