FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: JAO - is this mold in the DJ neck ?

Default JAO - is this mold in the DJ neck ?

Hi,

I have a 1 gallon DJ of JAO on the go, just over a week old, instructions followed to the Tee -but used bread yeast from the uk, couldn't source the US stuff.

I noticed this morning some white dots on the neck of the demijohn -kind of yellow/brown in the centre with a white fluffy 'halo' surround, probably about 2-3mm in diameter.

Is this mold do you think, or some yeast that made an escape bid ?
    When I added the yeast, I used a sterilised funnel so as not to trap it on the neck, also the fruit is a good 3-4 inches below the narrowest part of the DJ neck, in case of foaming.

The must is still bubbling away, airlock is fitted, not noticed any mold on the fruit.

Don't think I can upload a pic to the forum, so tried to describe it the best. I can.

Thanks

Andy

If it's fuzzy, it may well be some kind of mold, or it may well be yeast that rode the foam to freedom, stranger things have happened, I always get brownish "yeast tracks" up the sides of whatever I'm using as a fermentation vessel for JAO.

If you can sanitize your fingers or something that will reach) and swab them out, it'll probably be fine. You should be able to tell by the smell if it's moldy or just yeast with delusions of grandeur...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Since I have a week old JOA in the carboy now I'm guessing it's yeast since I have a ton of it in the neck.

Yellow/brown does sound like it's probably yeast. It's very common for yeast to get stuck to the sides of the container. The sniff test is a good one, you can usually tell the difference between yeast and mold with one quick whiff.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Concur.

Probably yeast, as you do sometimes get some weirdness with it.

If you're worried Andy, make up some of CJJJJJJJJ's wonder sanitiser (5 crushed campden tablets and 1 teaspoon of citric acid in 1 pint of water and put it in a household spray bottle), then get a nice, clean piece of cloth, soak it in the sanitiser, wrap the cloth round your middle finger and then carefully just wipe it out as far into the neck as you can.

You should be able to smell if it's just got a yeasty sort of pong or something else.

When you leave a batch of JAO, you will often see the yeast going a bit manky on the fruit while it's still floating, but as with the fruit, it seems to disappear once the fruit drops down to the bottom (probably just gets covered in the bread yeast as it settles out).
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

Hi,

Thanks again

All wiped, smelt like oranges.

All a bit lonely now, better do another JAO to keep it company and another non JAO too, I seem to have some more honey

Andy

Andy

Yeah, its funny how the pixies seem to magic up honey, once you get the bit between the teeth isn't it........
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....