• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How Important is Go-Ferm?

Barrel Char Wood Products

!Wine

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2012
Do you use this as a rehydrating medium? Wouldn't the salt keep the solution hypertonic making it difficult for the yeast to rehydrate?

Yes, this is the medium I re-hydrate in, add must to a couple times when it's going well and then pitch.

Salts? You probably have more in your tap/well water... not sure. I only use R/O water so there's not much in there to begin with.

The information comes from making Saki. Rice doesn't have much nutrition for yeast so the standard 'feed' people have come up with is epsom salts and Potassium chloride. :D The rice is molded with a specific white mold to make Koji... this breaks down the natural carbs into simple sugars. The Koji is then added in a several batches to feed the yeast as the primary fermentation goes along.

Fun stuff! *grin* Making Miso and Tempeh is also something I do... fermentables are awesome! Saurkraut and Kimchi for the wife and kid (I'm "A" blood type... cabbage instantly increases mucus production) and Northern Bean Tempeh for everyone (neutral bean for all blood types... Yeah!)

Happy Fermenting!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns