• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Just wanted to say thanks all for your collective knowledge

Barrel Char Wood Products

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
One should never let an education prevent one from having adventures. ;D

I'll happily have adventures, just not the ones that will leave me unemployable ;D and if they have they ability to prevent future employment I prefer not to do them in plain site of border agents and/or the thousands of cameras we have posted along the border

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
"Break the Law Todd, go ahead break it! Future employment is not important, go for it!" Great advice guys, some friends you are :D

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Reminds me of another time & place... I was crossing the border between North Dakota and Manitoba once back in the early '80s, and Canada Immigration and Customs manned the guard shack on the northbound side of the road, with US Customs and Immigration agents over on the southbound side. I was somewhat taken aback because there was absolutely no barrier of any kind on the road at the border (and prior to that crossing, I had only been up to Canada via either the crossing at Niagara or at Windsor/Detroit, where they treated the border with a little more formalism). In fact, while there was a light on in the Canadian guard shack, nobody at first came out to meet me when I stopped my car at the shack. I sat there patiently for about 5 minutes, and then decided to go look in because I didn't want to drive off only to have someone chasing me down later.

I found the guy in the shack watching TV, and he was clearly a little miffed that I was interrupting his break. But once he realized that I was only trying to do "the right thing" his demeanor changed, he became rather friendly, and he told me that nobody ever stops to check in at that crossing. He also advised that on my way back south if I didn't want to go through the hassle of checking in with the US side (where, frankly, the agents often did full vehicle inspections to relieve their boredom), I should instead cross at the gravel road that I'd passed about a half mile back -- since that road, although no longer maintained, was still passable and was completely open and unsecured. That was where all the locals crossed. He was right; on my way back I found that gravel road and took it back into the US. Nobody noticed.

I have to admit, I miss those days....

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
if you count Alaska we share just over 7,000 miles of border with Canada and only 1% of that border is secured by 119 internation crossing points manned by actual Border Agents (see mom I have learned something in College). Now the U.S has started installing Camera's (32 in the Detroit sector at a cost of $20K per camera set-up) and the Northen Border is now using UVA Drones so that extends how much is secure.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns