• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question about topping off a carboy for aging...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
Hey all,
I am approaching the end of the ferment cycle on my first batch of classic mead and have a quick question concerning topping off the carboy for aging... I see that Jack Daniels Distillery makes a Honey Whiskey... So my question is basically, would it be a bad thing to mix the honey whiskey with a stabilized, aging mead? Might add some oak flavoring as well... Any thoughts on this?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Whereas, I see nothing wrong in your idea/suggestion.

Just remember, bulk ageing is done to reduce the effect of temperature swings and consistency, while all the vineyards/wineries round here bottle age, but the bottles are retained in temperature controlled storage.

So I'm thinking that Waynes comment alludes to the fact that you'd be fundamentally changing the taste/flavour.

If anything, something neutral like vodka, with honey might be a better bet.....

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I've never used Jack Daniel's honey whiskey in my mead, but I have used it (and other labels) for curing drinking horns. Just from my exeprience, I'm with wayneb, they flavors are VERY different. For one, it's hard to find someone who uses fermented honey in their mixes and doesn't just drop some honey into their finished spirit. So you get a kind of 'syrupy' mouth feel that I'm not a fan of.

If you're going for raising the ABV, I'd suggest making a 1 gallon trad with the least memorable honey you can find (usually a pale clover for me) and ferment it to dry, then blend. You'd affect the flavor a lot less.

If you really want the whiskey and oak flavor, get some medium toast oak and soak it in a jar with a quality whiskey for a few weeks/couple months. Then put that in your mead. I wouldn't use something Jack, but that's me...

If you absolutely must top off and don't want to use your own mix of honey/water (I usually mix it a few points higher than what I'm at so it has some room to be fermented if the yeast is still active, but won't affect my ABV too much), then go with fatbloke and use vodka or everclear. Something that won't affect your flavor profile too terribly much.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I'd suggest making a 1 gallon trad with the least memorable honey you can find (usually a pale clover for me) and ferment it to dry, then blend. You'd affect the flavor a lot less.

I have been using a dry Traditional that I made, and wasn't a big fan of when I bottled, to use for topping off. When I was racking this past weekend I had 2 Carboys that needed topping off so I popped one of the bottles and added it. There was a little left so of course I poured a glass for myself and it had mellowed really nicely over the year in the bottle and sadly now there are only a few bottles of it left :(

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I wouldn't have used a blend for bottling. They two meads need time to acclimate to each other and smooth out. The couple of trads I have in 1 gallons I use for topping off after racking, with several months of aging still to go. For me, it's kind of like I don't want to bottle a week before I serve something, it doesn't let the mead settle down after moving. I want at least a month in the bottle before I start handing it out. I believe the term is "bottle shock"?

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I wouldn't have used a blend for bottling. They two meads need time to acclimate to each other and smooth out. The couple of trads I have in 1 gallons I use for topping off after racking, with several months of aging still to go. For me, it's kind of like I don't want to bottle a week before I serve something, it doesn't let the mead settle down after moving. I want at least a month in the bottle before I start handing it out. I believe the term is "bottle shock"?

The batch that was in the bottle and which I used for topping off is over two years old, aged for a year and has been sitting in the bottle for a year, I just wasn't a fan of it. I added this bottle to a carboy that I had just racked for aging, so it'll have 6-12 months to meld with the mead before I actually bottle it. After I bottle I usually let them sit for another 4 months before they actually get served.

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
I really do appreciate everyone's input here. I can definitely see going with a neutral liquor if I was after raising the ABV as suggested by Fatbloke.

Using liquor to cure drinking horns sounds very interesting. Are you involved in SCA, renaissance, or Rendezvous Soyala_Amaya? Just curious. Curing drinking horns is not something I hear of many people doing. ;D

Back on topic, I'm not sure how good this first batch of mine is going to turn out. I suspect that it may turn out to be really good for topping off other batches, so that may end up being its destiny. LOL Having mead around to top off the carboy for aging seems like a great idea. This first batch I think I'll do the honey/water mixture to top off.

Anyway, thanks a ton for the input folks, I greatly appreciate it.

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I'm Heathen, actually. We use horns during our religious rituals, and for personal use when we want to use something fancier than just a bottle being passed aorund. I like my mead in a horn vs a cup, but I also don't feel like spending $65 and up on something I can buy for $5 at a leather works store. It just takes a few months of polishing, scrubbing, and curing before it's usable, but I like the work.

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
If you're feeling adventurous and want to use a spirit for topping up, I'd go with a nice brandy/calvados. While still different than the flavors of mead, I find that the flavors can be complementary, and I've taken to using brandy for my at home mead cocktails. The oaky/vanilla smoothness adds something wonderful in my experience.

As others have suggested, start doing experiments like this on a small, one gallon scale (or better yet in a wine glass). Then if you don't like it, you've only wasted ~3 lbs of honey, some brandy, and time. Better than ruining a full five gallon batch. ;)

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
I have a question, Does it have to be an alcoholic beverage. Wouldn't spring water work just as well?

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
I'm Heathen, actually. We use horns during our religious rituals, and for personal use when we want to use something fancier than just a bottle being passed aorund. I like my mead in a horn vs a cup, but I also don't feel like spending $65 and up on something I can buy for $5 at a leather works store. It just takes a few months of polishing, scrubbing, and curing before it's usable, but I like the work.

Ah hah! Heathen you... Hehe just kidding. Well I can completely understand saving the money, besides, the elbow grease does kinda make it yours in a more personal way. Namaste! ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns