Thread: step feeding questions

Default step feeding questions

Can you rehydrate powdered yeast energizer/nutrient with a cup or so of must then add it back in or should you only rehydrate in plain water?

And doesn't step feeding, if you can only rehydrate with water, change the mead profile by diluting the must and thereby lowering the SG every time you do it?

Appreciate all input as always.

Not sure what most other people do, but I try to degass, then just added the powders right to the fermenting must. I don't rehydrate them at all. Just be prepared for some fizzing, or a lot if you don't degas first.
    Bees stole my signature file!

I usually just degas and then add it directly to the carboy, but I have pulled out a cup or so of mead and mixed in there and dumped back in. Just easier to do straight into the carboy and I have less to sanitize and clean afterwards. What can I say I'm lazy.

Just to clarify, I think you're asking about schedule nutrient additions, not step feeding.

Scheduled nutrient additions (SNA) is the adding of nutrients in steps through the fermentation.

Step feeding usually refers to adding honey over the course of a fermentation for high ABV meads, rather than starting with a high gravity must.

I often use a tablespoon or so of water to get the powders wet. Degas, then add. The tiny bit of water doesn't change the total volume enough to matter.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Quote Originally Posted by brian92fs View Post
    Just to clarify, I think you're asking about schedule nutrient additions, not step feeding.

Scheduled nutrient additions (SNA) is the adding of nutrients in steps through the fermentation.

Step feeding usually refers to adding honey over the course of a fermentation for high ABV meads, rather than starting with a high gravity must.
    Yes sorry my bad, I did mean SNA.

Quote Originally Posted by akueck View Post
    I often use a tablespoon or so of water to get the powders wet. Degas, then add. The tiny bit of water doesn't change the total volume enough to matter.
    Thanks akueck, good to know.