• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

step feeding questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Can you rehydrate powdered yeast energizer/nutrient with a cup or so of must then add it back in or should you only rehydrate in plain water?

And doesn't step feeding, if you can only rehydrate with water, change the mead profile by diluting the must and thereby lowering the SG every time you do it?

Appreciate all input as always.

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Not sure what most other people do, but I try to degass, then just added the powders right to the fermenting must. I don't rehydrate them at all. Just be prepared for some fizzing, or a lot if you don't degas first.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I usually just degas and then add it directly to the carboy, but I have pulled out a cup or so of mead and mixed in there and dumped back in. Just easier to do straight into the carboy and I have less to sanitize and clean afterwards. What can I say I'm lazy.

brian92fs

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Just to clarify, I think you're asking about schedule nutrient additions, not step feeding.

Scheduled nutrient additions (SNA) is the adding of nutrients in steps through the fermentation.

Step feeding usually refers to adding honey over the course of a fermentation for high ABV meads, rather than starting with a high gravity must.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I often use a tablespoon or so of water to get the powders wet. Degas, then add. The tiny bit of water doesn't change the total volume enough to matter.

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Just to clarify, I think you're asking about schedule nutrient additions, not step feeding.

Scheduled nutrient additions (SNA) is the adding of nutrients in steps through the fermentation.

Step feeding usually refers to adding honey over the course of a fermentation for high ABV meads, rather than starting with a high gravity must.

Yes sorry my bad, I did mean SNA.:rolleyes:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns