Thread: Topping off JAOM

Default Topping off JAOM

Is that a thing? I just read on another thread that the guy was going to top his off now that the fermenting had slowed down a little bit. Mine is getting to that point too, and since not all my oranges are completely submerged and my clove is kinda half in the mead half out (trapped by the neck of the bottle.) I was thinking it might not be a bad idea. But wouldn't the water just sit on top unless I agitated it? and aren't you not supposed to agitate JAOM? And what will it do to things like the ABV, diluting it like that?

If you actually read the recipe (I missed it the first time I read it), it says to top it off with water after the first couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by TAKeyser View Post
    If you actually read the recipe (I missed it the first time I read it), it says to top it off with water after the first couple of days.
    I did read the recipe, but I guess I missed that bit.

Well waddya know. I just went back and looked at the recipe after reading your response and there it was in black and white. Now don't I feel foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadK View Post
    I did read the recipe, but I guess I missed that bit.
    Like I said I missed it also, it took someone else mentioning it a few weeks ago in a thread for me to go back and re-read it and finally catch it.

Like I said I missed it also, it took someone else mentioning it a few weeks ago in a thread for me to go back and re-read it and finally catch it.
    Wow. we really don't always read ever word that is typed, do we? (I missed your saying you missed it the first time I read your post. And that was just a short sentence or so.)

And the lack of top-off has been remedied. (and now I can say that I have, in fact, followed the recipe fully as written.)

And in answer to your original post, the water will eventually mix in, the same way squirting air freshener in one corner of a still room will still eventually reach the far corner.

There's even a word for it but I can't brain, I have the dumb.

Dumb - D - diffusion. There you go, so maybe I'm not so dumb. It's a molecular motion thing, eventually you'll end up with an even concentration throughout the carboy.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    And in answer to your original post, the water will eventually mix in, the same way squirting air freshener in one corner of a still room will still eventually reach the far corner.

There's even a word for it but I can't brain, I have the dumb.

Dumb - D - diffusion. There you go, so maybe I'm not so dumb. It's a molecular motion thing, eventually you'll end up with an even concentration throughout the carboy.
    Check you out!

Well waddya know. I just went back and looked at the recipe after reading your response and there it was in black and white. Now don't I feel foolish.
    Haha... it seems like I missed that wording too.

... have the dumb...

ROFL. i don't know why, but I love the structure of that statement. It makes me gigglesnort. That's right. I said gigglesnort. I'ma man's man, hooyah.
    I like my beer black, my mead clear, my daughter good, and my wife bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinetti View Post
    Haha... it seems like I missed that wording too.

Well at least I'm not the only one who has missed it.
    " ...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " -TheFlyingBeer (on HomeBrewTalk)

I topped my gallon off that I started on Saturday tonight, the fermentation has become visually more active. I guess the fresh water infused more oxygen?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk Jaegaren View Post
    I topped my gallon off that I started on Saturday tonight, the fermentation has become visually more active. I guess the fresh water infused more oxygen?
    I noticed the same thing.

It's possible that it's diluted it a little so the yeast had a little resurgence since it was no longer at its tolerance, more likely that the agitation of adding water just knocked some CO2 out of solution if it dodn't last that long...
    Last edited by Chevette Girl; 04-12-2012 at 01:43 AM.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

It's possible that it's diluted it a little so the yeast had a little resurgence since it was no longer at its tolerance, more likely that the agitation of adding water just knocked some CO2 out of solution if it dodn't last that long...
    Still going. no worries. I don't mind that it's going faster again. I'm guessing that this crowd wouldn't find it weird that I find it oddly mesmerizing to just sit and watch the yeasties do their thing and listen to the pop pop pop of the airlock.

Still going. no worries. I don't mind that it's going faster again. I'm guessing that this crowd wouldn't find it weird that I find it oddly mesmerizing to just sit and watch the yeasties do their thing and listen to the pop pop pop of the airlock.
    I'm pretty sure you're in good company on this one.

Unless I'm completely wrong.

Which has happened before.

Recently.
    I like my beer black, my mead clear, my daughter good, and my wife bad.

Crap, missed that as well..... Good timing though, not too late for my latest batch....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
    Crap, missed that as well..... Good timing though, not too late for my latest batch....
    See? This is a common thing. Maybe this thread needs to be stickied.