Thread: Pineapple mead advice needed

Default Pineapple mead advice needed

One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.

http://www.rndrumreviews.com/RnDRumR...d_to_Mild.html

These look about right. Not sure much to put in a one gallon batch though. This seems like a great opportunity to try playing with a tincture. Toss some of these into some vodka and make an extract and see how they taste together.
    Bees stole my signature file!

Quote Originally Posted by MJJ View Post
    One of my favorite drinks is Captain Morgan's spice rum mix with Pineapple juice & ginger ale.

I would like to make a 1 Gallon batch of Pineapple mead that comes close to that. I have a 64 oz can of Dole Pineapple juice, Ginger root, honey, Lalvin 71B yeast. I don't know what spice to use, I have written to Captain Morgan's & ask what spice they use but they never replied. Does any one here have an idea what spices are in that rum so I can recreate that flavor in a mead.
    As a close personal friend of the Captain, I would be very interested in what you come up with and how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandall View Post
    As a close personal friend of the Captain, I would be very interested in what you come up with and how it turns out.
    I found out what it is, its allspice.

That is a good spice. Try to get some whole ones and crack them yourself.
    Bees stole my signature file!

So heres the deal, I started a experimental batch Saturday.
    1 sixty four oz can of Dole Pineapple juice.
    2 Lbs of clover honey
    1 Qt of spring water (plus a little more to top off afterwards)
    1/2 finger size of fresh grated Ginger root.
    1/2 tsp allspice.
    1/2 tsp nutmeg.
    1/8 tsp cinnamon.
    1 campdem tablet.
    1 Lalvin 71-B yeast
    In a sanitized sauce pan I heated 1 Qt of spring water,
    I added all the spices & simmered for 10 minutes.
    Turned off the heat & added the honey while steering the pot.
    Pineapple juice is already in Gallon jug, I added 1 crushed campdem tablet &
    poured the heated mix into the jug. Shook the jug to oxygenize. Topped off with spring water & shook again. (S.G. is 1.090) Place an airlock on it with sanitizer in it & set aside for 24 Hrs.
    The next day I placed jug in 3 Gallon pot (in sink) & added hot water (Kept running) to heat up must. 20 minutes later checked temp of must (101 F). Opened pack of 71-B & poured it directly in must & closed with airlock. Signs of fermentation 1 hr later. I was gonna add Yeast Nutrient & Energizer the next day but decided against it do to vigorous fermentation activity. By late noon the fermentation was so vigorous I decided to replace the airlock with a blow over tube. Today the fermentation was so vigorous, The foam forced pineapple pulp into the tube resulting in a pineapple volcano. I lost about a pint of must. Tomorrow I go to store & pick up a few gallons of spring water & top off the jug.

I hope my must did not get infected.
    Last edited by MJJ; 04-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkboy View Post
    That is a good spice. Try to get some whole ones and crack them yourself.
    Done that.

8. Default

Ooo this sounds good, I am a Caribou Lou fan (151, pineapple juice and a dash of coconut rum) and will be attempting something similar so hope you get close to ur rum tatse!!
    If you have a wort, you must braggab-out it