Thread: Hydrometer for 1 Gallon Jug

1. Question Hydrometer for 1 Gallon Jug

I starting making my first meads this month (5 of them) and only making 1 gallon batches. I used my hydrometer that I normally use for homebrew and just realized when I put my hydrometer into my 1 gallon jug, it's to tall and goes to the bottom of the jug and I get no reading. I don't want to fill my hydrometer since I'm only making 1 gallon. Is there a better way to test the SG for 1 gallon batches?

Thanks,
    Make'nMead

Fermenting (1 gallon sizes)
    All still in primary

Cyser (basic) 4/4/12
    Raspberry 4/6/12
    Cyser (spiced) 4/6/12
    Mixed Berry 4/14/12
    Mango 4/14/12

Yes, either a wine thief, or if you can't locate one that will go into the carboy/jug, then a 100ml test jar and turkey baster - sanitise the lot and take a sample with the turkey baster and transfer to the test jar and bingo! a testable sample.

And yes, before you ask, I always return the sample to the batch - with no ill effects.
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fatbloke View Post
    Yes, either a wine thief, or if you can't locate one that will go into the carboy/jug, then a 100ml test jar and turkey baster - sanitise the lot and take a sample with the turkey baster and transfer to the test jar and bingo! a testable sample.

And yes, before you ask, I always return the sample to the batch - with no ill effects.
    I was going to ask about returning the sample, glad you answered. I may have to pickup a baster to fill my hydrometer jar and just return the sample. As with beer, I don't like returning my samples or splashing.

4. Default

I used my auto-siphoning hose and got what I needed. I rarely use and it worked like a champ. My Cyser is at 1.010. I used EC-1118 so it's about done. I'm going to give it another 2 weeks before I transfer it. I pour a small sample 1/2 oz into a shot glass and man was it sweet!! I started at 1.134 which put it right at 16% abv right now. It's so sweet I really couldn't taste the alcohol.

As long as it's still active (SG is dropping) you don't have to worry too much about a little splashing, and you'll find that mead is far more resilient to both infections and oxidation than beers are, returning your sample's fine as long as you sanitized everything that comes into contact with your must... Welcome to the forum!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014