• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hydrometer for 1 Gallon Jug

Barrel Char Wood Products

Make'nMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2012
I starting making my first meads this month (5 of them) and only making 1 gallon batches. I used my hydrometer that I normally use for homebrew and just realized when I put my hydrometer into my 1 gallon jug, it's to tall and goes to the bottom of the jug and I get no reading. I don't want to fill my hydrometer since I'm only making 1 gallon. Is there a better way to test the SG for 1 gallon batches?

Thanks,
Make'nMead

Fermenting (1 gallon sizes)
All still in primary

Cyser (basic) 4/4/12
Raspberry 4/6/12
Cyser (spiced) 4/6/12
Mixed Berry 4/14/12
Mango 4/14/12

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Yes, either a wine thief, or if you can't locate one that will go into the carboy/jug, then a 100ml test jar and turkey baster - sanitise the lot and take a sample with the turkey baster and transfer to the test jar and bingo! a testable sample.

And yes, before you ask, I always return the sample to the batch - with no ill effects.

Make'nMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2012
Yes, either a wine thief, or if you can't locate one that will go into the carboy/jug, then a 100ml test jar and turkey baster - sanitise the lot and take a sample with the turkey baster and transfer to the test jar and bingo! a testable sample.

And yes, before you ask, I always return the sample to the batch - with no ill effects.

I was going to ask about returning the sample, glad you answered. I may have to pickup a baster to fill my hydrometer jar and just return the sample. As with beer, I don't like returning my samples or splashing.

Make'nMead

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 11, 2012
I used my auto-siphoning hose and got what I needed. I rarely use and it worked like a champ. My Cyser is at 1.010. I used EC-1118 so it's about done. I'm going to give it another 2 weeks before I transfer it. I pour a small sample 1/2 oz into a shot glass and man was it sweet!! I started at 1.134 which put it right at 16% abv right now. It's so sweet I really couldn't taste the alcohol.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
As long as it's still active (SG is dropping) you don't have to worry too much about a little splashing, and you'll find that mead is far more resilient to both infections and oxidation than beers are, returning your sample's fine as long as you sanitized everything that comes into contact with your must... Welcome to the forum!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns