• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bulk age question

Barrel Char Wood Products

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
When bulk aging, do you use a airlock or air tight plug?

Depends on a number of factors. Has the mead been stabilized or if there a chance that fermentation could begin again? Is it in a location with a steady atmospheric pressure, as a change in atmospheric pressure will guess gas in the mead to go into or out of suspension which could cause the cap to blow off or the carboy to shatter? Air locks seem to be the safer of the two options, just remember to keep the water level in it topped off, but others on here have used solid bungs (and have also had those solid bungs blow off leaving the mead exposed to oxygen).

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
Depends on a number of factors. Has the mead been stabilized or if there a chance that fermentation could begin again? Is it in a location with a steady atmospheric pressure, as a change in atmospheric pressure will guess gas in the mead to go into or out of suspension which could cause the cap to blow off or the carboy to shatter? Air locks seem to be the safer of the two options, just remember to keep the water level in it topped off, but others on here have used solid bungs (and have also had those solid bungs blow off leaving the mead exposed to oxygen).

"Air locks seem to be the safer of the two options"

Thank You

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
I just ordered 12 quarts of L&A Pineapple Coconut Juice. I plan to make a 5 gallon batch of Spice Mead with it & bulk age it. Whats the proper amount of time to bulk age it? I am going to use a 6 gallon better bottle for primary, That 1 gallon head space should be enough to compensate for volcanic activity (I hope)

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Bulk aging between six months and 2 years. :)

Depends on why you are aging it.

Till it falls clear, if you waiting for it to clear.

Till the flavors meld together and alcohol heat receeds, if the taste could use some work.

Taste it when you think it is done fermenting and start to bulk age it. Take notes as to what you want to happen. Look at it and/or taste it every once in a while.

MJJ

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 18, 2012
Upstate NY
Bulk aging between six months and 2 years. :)

Depends on why you are aging it.

Till it falls clear, if you waiting for it to clear.

Till the flavors meld together and alcohol heat receeds, if the taste could use some work.

Taste it when you think it is done fermenting and start to bulk age it. Take notes as to what you want to happen. Look at it and/or taste it every once in a while.

To naturally degas & clarify without clay.
I usually add bentonite & degas 2 days after stabilizing & let it sit for another 3 weeks before bottling. I wanted to see which is better. If bentonite & degassing is better, I will stick with that.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
To naturally degas & clarify without clay.
I usually add bentonite & degas 2 days after stabilizing & let it sit for another 3 weeks before bottling. I wanted to see which is better. If bentonite & degassing is better, I will stick with that.

Aging is used for more than just clearing and degassing. A lot of it has to do with letting the flavors meld together more consistently than bottling aging.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns