Thread: World Book Night USA -- Did Anyone Else Participate?

Default World Book Night USA -- Did Anyone Else Participate?

Tonight (April 23, 2012) is World Book Night in the US. It's a great, free book giveaway is put on by WorldBookNight.org and is meant to get books in the hands of non-readers or low readers.

Last year was the first World Book Night and was held in the UK. This year the idea spread to the US as well.

The foundation offers 30 books to choose from. The public is invited to write in and request to be a volunteer, stating which book they'd like to give away and why. If selected, a box of those books (special World Book Night editions) are sent to a local bookstore for pick up. There's no cost to anyone involved in the giveaway -- not the volunteers, not the bookstores, not the recipients.

How cool is that?

I asked to give out copies of Kate DiCamillo's "Because of Winn-Dixie." As a former children's librarian I wanted to be able to put an emotionally layered, sometimes funny, and well-written book into a kid's hands. Tonight I was able to do that for 24 kids. It was a great adventure.

I was wondering if anyone else here on GM was involved in this project as well.
    "I said it was good eats, not fast eats."
    -- Alton Brown

It sounds like an awesome thing. Had I known about it before now, I would have loved to have taken part. Ah well, there's always next year.

what ChadK said
    " ...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. " -TheFlyingBeer (on HomeBrewTalk)

It sounds like an awesome project! But I sadly had no idea about it...

I would have recommended Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. It is by far my favorite book. It might not be the most timeless or universal piece but his sentences are absolutely lyrical through out the book...
    L’esprit de l’escalier

Wow, as semi-reformed bibliophile this is looks awesome! Wish I had know about it earlier...
    Bees stole my signature file!

We're avid readers around here. Remind us about this sooner in the game next year, please.
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

That sounds like a great idea. I'd recommend Gordon Korman's "Camp I Wanna Go Home", one of the few books I read as a kid that still makes me laugh out loud as an adult. That, or Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine", which I found to be the most charming book I think I've ever read, and closer to a classic than Korman.

...I'll leave Gatsby to someone (anyone!) else to read, I hated it as much as I hated reading "Bonfire of the Vanities", "Death of A Salesman" and "Gone with the Wind"... Although I have been enjoying "A Tale of Two Cities"... Oh, well, no accounting for taste. Especially mine.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

I love to read and think that this is a great idea to inspire others to read, or to read more. I would have to say that "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand is the greatest book ever written since the Bible. If we could get everyone to read it, the world wouldn't be so screwed up right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandall View Post
    If we could get everyone to read..., the world wouldn't be so screwed up right now.
    That. That right there.
    Angry Viking Hedgehog say "Give me mead or I poke ya!"

I participated... or rather will participate... Oncology isn't open at night, so I am heading down today to bring "Enders Game" to them and elsewhere about the Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwolfUpir View Post
    I participated... or rather will participate... Oncology isn't open at night, so I am heading down today to bring "Enders Game" to them and elsewhere about the Hospital.
    "Enders Game" was one of my top three choices. Such a great book...
    "I said it was good eats, not fast eats."
    -- Alton Brown

I like Coelho's The Alchemist

Surprise!
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010