• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

World Book Night USA -- Did Anyone Else Participate?

Barrel Char Wood Products

fivecats

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2012
Outside Raleighwood
Tonight (April 23, 2012) is World Book Night in the US. It's a great, free book giveaway is put on by WorldBookNight.org and is meant to get books in the hands of non-readers or low readers.

Last year was the first World Book Night and was held in the UK. This year the idea spread to the US as well.

The foundation offers 30 books to choose from. The public is invited to write in and request to be a volunteer, stating which book they'd like to give away and why. If selected, a box of those books (special World Book Night editions) are sent to a local bookstore for pick up. There's no cost to anyone involved in the giveaway -- not the volunteers, not the bookstores, not the recipients.

How cool is that?

I asked to give out copies of Kate DiCamillo's "Because of Winn-Dixie." As a former children's librarian I wanted to be able to put an emotionally layered, sometimes funny, and well-written book into a kid's hands. Tonight I was able to do that for 24 kids. It was a great adventure.

I was wondering if anyone else here on GM was involved in this project as well.

ChadK

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 16, 2012
Commerce City, CO
It sounds like an awesome thing. Had I known about it before now, I would have loved to have taken part. Ah well, there's always next year.

caffeine211

NewBee
Registered Member
May 23, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
It sounds like an awesome project! But I sadly had no idea about it...

I would have recommended Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. It is by far my favorite book. It might not be the most timeless or universal piece but his sentences are absolutely lyrical through out the book...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That sounds like a great idea. I'd recommend Gordon Korman's "Camp I Wanna Go Home", one of the few books I read as a kid that still makes me laugh out loud as an adult. That, or Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine", which I found to be the most charming book I think I've ever read, and closer to a classic than Korman.

...I'll leave Gatsby to someone (anyone!) else to read, I hated it as much as I hated reading "Bonfire of the Vanities", "Death of A Salesman" and "Gone with the Wind"... Although I have been enjoying "A Tale of Two Cities"... Oh, well, no accounting for taste. Especially mine. ;D

Vandall

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 13, 2012
Clinton Township Michigan
I love to read and think that this is a great idea to inspire others to read, or to read more. I would have to say that "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand is the greatest book ever written since the Bible. If we could get everyone to read it, the world wouldn't be so screwed up right now.

ZwolfUpir

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 28, 2011
Manchester NH
I participated... or rather will participate... Oncology isn't open at night, so I am heading down today to bring "Enders Game" to them and elsewhere about the Hospital.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns