Thread: I Don't Do Wine

Default I Don't Do Wine

Alright, I am going out to a very expensive dinner tomorrow, and it has been implied that since I am the 'brewer" I should pick the wine. I don't do wine. However, I like big, fruity, sweeter flavors. In the past I have prefered reds, or even better, fruit wines. Here's their menu. Help? Suggestions?

http://emchamas.com/menu-2/kansas-city-menu/
    Angry Viking Hedgehog say "Give me mead or I poke ya!"

Quote Originally Posted by Soyala_Amaya View Post
    Alright, I am going out to a very expensive dinner tomorrow, and it has been implied that since I am the 'brewer" I should pick the wine. I don't do wine. However, I like big, fruity, sweeter flavors. In the past I have prefered reds, or even better, fruit wines. Here's their menu. Help? Suggestions?

http://emchamas.com/menu-2/kansas-city-menu/
    Can you say "fuck the wine" and go with the Xingu? I've never had it but I was gonna suggest a Mexican dark like Negra Modelo, I'm guessing it'll be similar and should stand up nicely with all the heavy meat.

It's a Groupon deal where we got so many plates half off and a bottle of wine...I have no idea what is or is not included in that besides lots of delicious roasted meat. Mmmmm, I love Brazilian meat.
    Angry Viking Hedgehog say "Give me mead or I poke ya!"

If you like fruity and sweet I would go for a Pinot Noir or a Merlot.
    L’esprit de l’escalier

Quote Originally Posted by Soyala_Amaya View Post
    It's a Groupon deal where we got so many plates half off and a bottle of wine...I have no idea what is or is not included in that besides lots of delicious roasted meat. Mmmmm, I love Brazilian meat.
    Sounds fun, but I'm gonna have to defer to others for wine advice. (I still think you should at least try the Xingu.)

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Go with the Shooting Star Merlot. All of the red choices on their menu are dry, mostly "big and bold" (aka, tannic). But this Merlot is rounder, softer and slightly more fruit-forward than the rest of the offerings on the list.

I'm not saying that you'll like it, but I believe it is the one that would be closest to your taste, given their choices.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine211 View Post
    Agreed. Although I can't help with specifics, as I've never really had US wine

Merlot is normally a softer and smoother red, but still quite "thick", whereas the Pinot Noir is usually a bit more delicate and not as full bodied, but still quite fruity.

Since it's a steak house. I'd go with one of the malbec blends from Argentina. They won't be on the sweet side, but they will pair wonderfully with a good steak.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeine211 View Post
    I agree.

When selecting a wine, I usually ask the server for advice. You can tell them what you're looking for and they'll often steer you in the right direction. I do that all the time. They often bring you out a few samples (unless its only offered by the bottle). I'd ask them for a fruit forward Pinor Noir or Zinfandel... something not too spicy. That way, you look like you know what you're doing without actually knowing the wines =)