• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Nhc 2012 ...

Barrel Char Wood Products

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Last year I entered just to get some feedback from out of state judges - and it didn't hurt that someone else was willing to drive the entries to the drop off spot so I didn't have to ship them, and I got pretty well slammed on most of my entries (two out of four in the mid 20's, oxidation issues). This year all four of my entries are happily in the 30's. Guess they post second round advancement next week.

Guess I should buckle down and enter some samples into the Mazer Cup next year.

Have also noticed that the higher the BJCP judge is ranked, the worse their hand writing is on the score sheet. I should know bad hand writing, mine sucks. :)

skunkboy

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2005
Between Jackson and Detroit
Well, some of both I would say. Descriptions, which obviously include items that the meads were dinged for, and then sometimes remediations for what was dinged, although I don't always agree with their perceptions. Still, better and more impartial feedback then friends just asking for more. :)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
If you have any leftovers from the entries that you posted this time, save them for the Mazer Cup next year. I'd be interested to see what, if any, differences there would be in the judging comments from a mead-centric competition than from a more universal brewing event.

AZ_IPA

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2010
If you have any leftovers from the entries that you posted this time, save them for the Mazer Cup next year. I'd be interested to see what, if any, differences there would be in the judging comments from a mead-centric competition than from a more universal brewing event.

I entered an oaked cherry melomel and pyment into both Mazer Cup and NHC (San Diego) this year.

I was very happy with the constructive feedback and consistent comments between the two competitions.

It's been my experience that national (or international) level comps are pretty consistent for meads; moreso than some smaller competitions where it might be something "Hey Bob, are you done judging IPAs yet, we've got a couple meads we need you to get to."

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
"Hey Bob, are you done judging IPAs yet, we've got a couple meads we need you to get to."

OK, this had me laughing because I've think I've judged at events like that. IPA is the one category that I always opt-out of as a judge, because I'm worthless at judging anything else after drinking really hoppy beers.

For what it's worth, the last homebrew competition (it's been a while now...) that I judged at, a mead won best of show.

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
I often wondered about that. I have entered many beers in competitions over the years and have always received valuable feedback. I have only entered one mead competition and received some nice complements but no real feedback. So I often wondered if the judges had any proficiency in Meads. I plan on entering some more competitions to see how things go.

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
A great mead comp is Mazer Cup. It is mead only and the judges give really great feedback on the mead, your process and how to improve your process if applicable.

I plan to enter that next year. It will also give me an excuse to visit my brother who lives up in Winter Park Co.

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
I often wondered about that. I have entered many beers in competitions over the years and have always received valuable feedback. I have only entered one mead competition and received some nice complements but no real feedback. So I often wondered if the judges had any proficiency in Meads. I plan on entering some more competitions to see how things go.

I think this is exactly why the BJCP added the mead judge designation a couple years ago. I don't think many people have passed the test for it yet because it's still really new. I've been wanting to take it but they don't schedule them very often. Fortunately it is being offered at the AHA National Homebrew Convention this year so I'm on the list to take it there.

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Good luck on your mjcp test. We took ours at last years aha in MN.

We scheduled a test in Milwaukee in March of 2013. They are that far out to plan for one! You have to know a year in advance.

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
Good luck on your mjcp test. We took ours at last years aha in MN.

We scheduled a test in Milwaukee in March of 2013. They are that far out to plan for one! You have to know a year in advance.

So what did you think of it? I've read through the study material and it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot of memorization about honey varietals...

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Just remember floral. It is worth 1/2 of a point. Almost every honey has floral aroma and flavor as a quality. ;) Only half kidding.

There will be more than one honey in the test. You only need to pass, not ace the test. Relax,and do your best. It's not easy, but it's not as bad as knowing what kind of water they have in bumfoot Egypt like the beer exam! If you were able to memorize all those beer styles and the ingredients each use, you can memorize enough about each honey to pass.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns