Thread: JAO and green fruit

1. Default JAO and green fruit

My last batch of JAO left me with oranges that had become VERY green above the water line, so much so they are almost black. I was afraid this was a real problem (some kind of mold), but when I racked off of the lees/fruit, I did not notice any off smells and the taste was perfectly fine. I went ahead and hit it with stablizers just in case there is the odd bacteria hanging out in there from overly oxidized fruit.

I guess I am wondering, is it oxidation or mold? I'm guessing just oxidation because there is not off smell/taste, but I wanted to make sure I don't ingest anything that could be harmful

My Social Networking

Add Riverat on Facebook

It's probably niether (though you could call yeast a mold I suppose) auusuming you had it under an airlock there sould have been little O2 to begin with and a line I love from a berr brewing book says "nothing that can hurt you can live in beer" and I suspect that holds true for mead as well. An of course "the nose Knows"
    You only go around once in life, but if you do it right, once is enough

I've never had that happen before. If it didn't smell like mold though, you're probably fine. Did you get a chance to closely inspect the oranges after you'd racked the mead out from under them? Did the green/black rub off or anything? (sorry, due to my lab-rat nature, my tendency is to poke at anything I don't understand)

And oxidation is a primarily chemical process, it doesn't spontaneously breed bacteria.

If I have fruit that's sticking up through the surface of my JAO I do break the warranty and swirl it every few days just to make sure nothing funky happens.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "Good grief! If someone wanted to murder you, all they would have to do is ship you a 55 gallon barrel of honey and watch you document working yourself to death!" - Vance G
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014

The orange can sometimes go dark, almost black, if its got a large airspace. But the fruit will still drop with time, and as yet, I've found no ill effects.......
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....