• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A couple questions for tomorrows mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

janitorjerm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
I'm planning on making a mead tomorrow. I have 3 quarts of prickly pear fruit juice and 1 quart of loquat fruit juice. I purchased some 1116 yeast and some fermax and yeast nutrient from my lhbs and I have 3 pounds of local wildflower honey. Can anyone help me with a recipe and a staggered yeast nutrient plan for this? All I've ever made before is jaom.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a hydrometer? If you don't, I'd suggest you get one, otherwise you can't really do a staggered nutrient schedule with any degree of accuracy, and if you're not going to get one before you start this batch, I'd recommend adding your energizer shortly after pitching the rehydrated yeast and your nutrients after the airlock starts to bubble. You can still make acceptable meads without SNA, I made meads for years, front-loading with nutrients before discovering the existence of yeast energizer, and they were fine...

If you do have a hydrometer, great... What I'd do is mix juice with honey to get a SG of something between 1.100 and 1.120 (depends how strong you want it, and the stronger it is the longer you'll probably want to age it), add pectinase if you have any (and give it at least 12 hours to do its thing before pitching), then rehydrate your yeast and pitch it... At the end of lag phase (once the SG starts to drop), give it some nutrients and energizer...

My lazy-a$$ staggered method is to give it maybe 1/4 of the total amount of DAP and 1/3 of the energizer around the end of lag phase and then mix the rest of what I was going to give it as a total into one container and then every aeration, check the SG and feed it an amount of this mixture such that your last feeding and aeration should happen somewhere near the 1/3 sugar break (if your must is 1.120, that will be at 1.080).

Different sources will suggest different amounts, but with a yeast like 1116 that isn't too "needy", I like to go with 1 to 1/2 tsp of DAP (nutrients) and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp energizer, which is respectively full to half dose and full to double dose if you go by the recommendations on the package (they are of course geared towards front-loading grape musts), if I double the dose of energizer, I use half the dose of the nutrients.

Good luck with it!

janitorjerm

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2011
So nutrients and energizer at a quarter to half dose every day until sugar break? Thank you for your reply

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You really need to be keeping an eye on the fermentation, if it takes off like crazy and the SG drops quickly (like one recent pineapple batch that was well past its 1/3 break within 24 hours), I give it more of its allotted nutrients each time because there will be fewer times, if it's a less vigorous fermentation it'll get more smaller doses spread over a longer time, and I try to aerate and check the SG at least twice a day until it's hit the 1/3 point.

If you do a forum search on "staggered", you will find a lot of different theories on how to set up your staggered nutrient addition schedule, my method is only one of many ways to do it, pick what works for you.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns