• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hey Medsen...

Barrel Char Wood Products

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
I wanted to thank you for letting me know in another thread not too long ago about Avocado Honey, I had no idea there was that type of honey. Found a source nearby and got some. It is the most gorgeous, dark honey I've ever seen! Haven't tasted it yet, looking forward to that. Don't want to open it til I'm ready to use it. Plan on substituting it for Buckwheat called for in Matioli's Grape Pyment recipe. Thanks again!

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
That was supposed to be MANGROVE.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wow that sounds interesting....is it a dark honey too?

And I thought the Avocado would be a good sub for buckwheat since it is dark like buckwheat. And the reason for adding just an oz of it in the recipe is because darker honey has more nutrients which would aid fermentation?

Anyway, thanks again!

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
That sounds like an interestinq variation of the recipe. Magrove honey might also be good.

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks and forgot to mention, it was your suggestion to sub Avocado for buckwheat in Matioli's Grape Pyment recipe when I posted I was having difficulty finding buckwheat.;)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Darker honey tends to have a higher content of things like ash and nitrogen sources. It's still not enough to go from "no YAN" to "enough YAN" in a plain honey must--not even close to enough. But yes, typically there is more of that stuff in darker honey.

I've blended small amounts of darker honey into light musts just to add some complexity. Orange blossom honey, for example, is nice and all, but it usually does lack that depth of character. A little bit of darker honey can bring that without overpowering the flavors or really changing the color very much. I'm guessing that is what the buckwheat is for in that recipe--that little je ne sais quoi that turns it from "good" to "awesome".

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Darker honey tends to have a higher content of things like ash and nitrogen sources. It's still not enough to go from "no YAN" to "enough YAN" in a plain honey must--not even close to enough. But yes, typically there is more of that stuff in darker honey.

I've blended small amounts of darker honey into light musts just to add some complexity. Orange blossom honey, for example, is nice and all, but it usually does lack that depth of character. A little bit of darker honey can bring that without overpowering the flavors or really changing the color very much. I'm guessing that is what the buckwheat is for in that recipe--that little je ne sais quoi that turns it from "good" to "awesome".

Excellent, thanks akueck.

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
So I made Matioli's Grape Pyment recipe 5-4-12 and at first, was disappointed with it, it had a significant H2S aroma that made it a bit unpleasant but not undrinkable. I bottled it 5-31-12, drank a few bottles of it, then stashed a few and just opened one tonight. And it is delicious!!! The H2S is completely gone!! It's still a bit sweet for my personal taste but now I plan to give the two remaining bottles I have to a friend on her birthday and the other one to my sister-in-law who would, I know, appreciate a good dessert style wine. And I will enjoy the one I opened tonight after dinner with family/friends the next week or so. Cheers!

And I will make this again, just not quite as sweet next time.:cool:

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns