• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New brewer with a question

Barrel Char Wood Products

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Before I post my questions, here is my recipe:

4 gallons of spring water
2 packets of Lalvin 71 B-1122 yeast
15 lbs. of dutch gold orange blossom honey
1/2 teaspon each of yeast energizer and yeast nutrient

I'm making a 6 gallon batch. Well...it was 6 gallons. I heated the honey and water for the must, and had a slight mishap with this...where I overheated the mixture a bit and lost some b/c it spilled over a bit, but all seems well with that. It's about 5 and 1/4 gallon or so now, after it's first racking from the bucket to the carboy.

I'll get to the point. From what I've seen and been reading, it seems that a sort of tangy/sour smell is pretty normal for mead in it's early stages, I just wanted to confirm this I guess? I think I'm worrying a bit lol. But after two weeks I racked it to the carboy and noticed that it has a bit of a sour/acidic smell to it. This being my first batch, I got kind of worried. Also I noticed that the sediment in the bottom--it looks like it's almost climbing up the sides ever so slightly. Strange or normal? I saw pictures and this seems normal. Should I have a beer and relax and let it be? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
Ha. I was about to say "relax, don't worry... etc, etc."

Fermentation makes lots of smells. Sometimes I still get concerned about how something might smell in primary or secondary fermentation but it always works out ok. I wouldn't sweat it.

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
Yes, I like low hanging fruit (easy questions). My guess is you're fine. Early smells are not that uncommon. Do you own a hydrometer?

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Thanks so much, you guys are awesome! I think what also made me worry a bit was in the bottom, where the sediment has started to collect, it almost appeared as if some of the sediment was like...creeping up the side just a tiny bit or something. Haha--or maybe it's just an illusion from the glass? I don't know. But I saw so many pictures of that afterwards that I thought "okay, it should be fine."

Airlock is bubbling still too, ever so slowly, so I take that as a good sign too.

@Whatshisface: I do own a hydrometer. I tested before sealing and I think it was 1.1 or something? The number I got was more or less the standard. I tried testing it in a test tube that I have while it was racking, but when I dropped the Hydrometer in it just appeared to sink even though the thing had a good amount of liquid in it. Is that odd? I tasted it and you could definitely taste (and smell) alcohol, so I figured what the hell, just seal the carboy and see what happens.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
yo WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!

As for the rest, its common to be a little iffy when you dont know whats happenin in there. You'll get used to all the signs in time. One note about that hydrometer--just appeared to sink?

If the hydrometer sinks all the way to the bottom and you get a reading of 1.000 or less you are done man, time to rack. hows it taste?

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
yo WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!

As for the rest, its common to be a little iffy when you dont know whats happenin in there. You'll get used to all the signs in time. One note about that hydrometer--just appeared to sink?

If the hydrometer sinks all the way to the bottom and you get a reading of 1.000 or less you are done man, time to rack. hows it taste?

Done? Haha--you sure about that? It's only 3 weeks in. :p And it's still very cloudy. As to the taste--I could taste the alcohol, but it didn't seem much of the flavor or sweetness had developed yet. Plus the airlock is still going a bit, so I think I'm gonna just let it sit.

And thanks for the welcome! :D

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Done? Haha--you sure about that? It's only 3 weeks in. :p And it's still very cloudy. As to the taste--I could taste the alcohol, but it didn't seem much of the flavor or sweetness had developed yet. Plus the airlock is still going a bit, so I think I'm gonna just let it sit.

And thanks for the welcome! :D
Done, as in finished fermenting is what I suspect that Wolfie was alluding too. Well balanced musts can finish fermenting in a week or so, though often it can take longer - and no, there's too many variables to say why it might be done quickly (or not).

Of course, if it has finished fermenting (check the gravity every couple of days and you want to see 3 identical gravity readings across about a week), then rack it off the gross lees.

While 71B is good for making a brew that's nicer tasting, sooner than a lot of other yeasts, it still will need clearing - which depending on your chosen method, can take time. Plus it will almost definitely need ageing, probably 6 months minimum.

The majority of young meads aren't very good, but the occasional taste can help you learn how amazing meads are when it comes to developing into something that's very palatable.

Before that, you'll have no real idea about what it's likely to be like when completely finished i.e. how much of the honey characteristic will return as it mellows or whether there will be much, if any, "perceived" sweetness - or whether it'll need a bit of back sweetening and possibly some acid.........

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Thanks so much, you guys are awesome! I think what also made me worry a bit was in the bottom, where the sediment has started to collect, it almost appeared as if some of the sediment was like...creeping up the side just a tiny bit or something. Haha--or maybe it's just an illusion from the glass? I don't know. But I saw so many pictures of that afterwards that I thought "okay, it should be fine."

That could well be yeast collecting on the sides of the glass where it starts to taper in to the bottom, I've had that happen. If you give it a gentle swirl it should start settling down to the rest of the lees.

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Alright cool, yea I didn't think it seemed to weird but this being my first brew, the yeast creeping up the side in there definitely made me wonder lol.

As to the mead being done: I was under the impression that if your airlock is still going at all, that the ferment is not quite done. Is this correct? Because mine is still going, though it is much slower at this point.

In any case, I will wait a few more days and then try to sample it and see how it's developing. Again, thanks so much for everyone's input and knowledge--I really appreciate it! :)

hepcat

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Feb 7, 2012
Central Florida
Alright cool, yea I didn't think it seemed to weird but this being my first brew, the yeast creeping up the side in there definitely made me wonder lol.

As to the mead being done: I was under the impression that if your airlock is still going at all, that the ferment is not quite done. Is this correct? Because mine is still going, though it is much slower at this point.

In any case, I will wait a few more days and then try to sample it and see how it's developing. Again, thanks so much for everyone's input and knowledge--I really appreciate it! :)

Airlock activity does indicate there probably is still fermentation going on but checking SG every few days with your hydrometer until it stops changing is your best/most accurate way of knowing when it's done. Cheers.

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
@Whatshisface: I do own a hydrometer. I tested before sealing and I think it was 1.1 or something? The number I got was more or less the standard. I tried testing it in a test tube that I have while it was racking, but when I dropped the Hydrometer in it just appeared to sink even though the thing had a good amount of liquid in it. Is that odd? I tasted it and you could definitely taste (and smell) alcohol, so I figured what the hell, just seal the carboy and see what happens.

How big was this tube? Usually a hydrometer needs a 10"-12" tube in order to get an accurate test. If it's hitting the bottom, you aren't getting a reading. It has to be free floating (and not stuck to the sides either) in order to get a valid reading.

HunnyBunz

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2011
Salem, OR

The fermentation could be done, but there may still be CO2 in suspension that is slowly rising and causing an occasional airlock bubble.
That's just one of the many reasons why you don't want to rely on the airlock to determine how the fermentation is progressing. :)

Whatshisface

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2012
Michigan
By the way welcome to the board.

I guess there is no need to rehash everything everyone has already said about the hydrometer readings. Two things to take away from this thread is that the Hydrometer is one of your best friends and your mead is going to be fine.

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
How big was this tube? Usually a hydrometer needs a 10"-12" tube in order to get an accurate test. If it's hitting the bottom, you aren't getting a reading. It has to be free floating (and not stuck to the sides either) in order to get a valid reading.

It's a 12" tube. It seemed like there was enough in there, more than halfway for sure. Does it need to be topped off? So many questions! Haha--but you guys have all been so helpful, I'm glad I stumbled across this forum! :D I just want to make sure that when I test it again with my hydrometer that I'm going to get a proper reading.

@Whatshisface: Thanks again, and after a few days it certainly does look fine, so..on to the hydrometer test!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I often cheat by sanitizing the hydrometer and putting it in the tube before I add the must I want to measure (stop adding must when it floats), but what you can do is see what level you need with water: take hydrometer, put in tube, go to tap, fill with water until hydrometer's at least half an inch off the bottom of the tube, remove hydrometer, mark the outside of the tube with a marker or something and call this your minimum required level...

Last edited:

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Thanks Chevette, that's a great idea. Simple and effective! I will try it. I've also been doing some reading on here about headspace, and seen several ideas.

My mead sits just above the top shoulder of the carboy. I'm wondering...if I add some kind of juice or just water, can I do that now or is it too late? I racked into the carboy on the 1st of this month. And also, if I add juice, or just water, or whatever, does it need to be boiled first or can I just add it in? And can it just be poured in gently or no?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Bottled juice shouldn't need boiling, but I usually use cooled water from the kettle if I top off with water.

EFBacon

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
VA
Sounds good. Also I haven't seen on here or read anywhere else if there's a window of time in which you can top off your batch if you decide to do so--does it really matter or can I top it off whenever?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
There's a specific time suggested for JAO, but if it's anything but, you want to do it as soon as possible to avoid oxygen exposure. I prefer to do it within an hour of racking, myself. Unless I've got a good reason not to (ie, it's still bubbling furiously and producing CO2 to displace any oxygen in the headspace, or I need to go buy more juice).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns