• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Upset stomach

Barrel Char Wood Products

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
I just read this thread (I didn't want to crash that thread) and just rememered that someone complained about getting stomach pain from (over)consuming some of my un-sulfated homebrewed plain mead fermented with the brewer yeasts fermentis saflager s23 and k1v-1116.

Is that a issue concerning to much active(or dead for that matter) yeast? Infections ... ?

What should I do to prevent that from happening in the future when if I want to give mead to "non-immune" persons? filter, Pasturize it, wait longer and rack more before bottling(I racked that one about one time before bottling)?

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
Thanks for answer.:)
...How does your brew look before bottling? Totally clear? Not dropping any more sediment? If you don't want to sulfite, you could add a fining agent and wait. Or add nothing and wait a long time to make sure everything drops out.
-Usually I rack once after primary and one or two more times before bottling if I dont have any concern about leaving to much headspace.
-I usually wait untill its no activety left and clear so I can see right through it(If its not to dark).

-I just opened a bottle of wine/beer from that "problem" maple beer descibed. It was racked only once after primary then left alone and capped with a beer cap 2 mouths ago when bottled. It gave basically no fizz, but had a little "snow" on the bottom.

-I've only used fining agents in a wine kit a few years ago. I might give that a try specially in meads intended for gifts.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I find if I'm going to get a twitchy stomach or a headache after indulging (not overindulging), it is more likely to be from my unsulphited batches...

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
I find if I'm going to get a twitchy stomach or a headache after indulging (not overindulging), it is more likely to be from my unsulphited batches...
Is that like just unsulphited uncarbonated totally clear stuff?
The reason I usually dont use sulphite is so I dont give people headaches:mad:. Can you clear up for me the relation between sulphited, unsulphited and headaches?

Homebrew with yeasties in it can give some people digestive problems. Heck if I drink 3 o4 4 pints of fresh Oberon (yeasty wheat beer) I get gassy.
What do you mean "yeasty wheat beer" ? a wheat beer cloudy from yeast and wheat dough particles?

So my the conclusion should be ? Keep it crystal clear(at least clear of yeast) and sulphited(from Chevette Girl's #5)?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Is that like just unsulphited uncarbonated totally clear stuff?
The reason I usually dont use sulphite is so I dont give people headaches:mad:. Can you clear up for me the relation between sulphited, unsulphited and headaches?

See, it totally depends on the person, some folks get worse effects from unstabilized wines and some do indeed get headaches from sulphites, although apparently, a lot of the suspected sulphite headaches end up being tannin reactions, I do know a family for whom sulphites (and red grape tannins) in wine trigger migraines, so they can't ever have commercially made Ontario wines, because Ontario insists that all wines must contain a certain amount of sulphites.

My absolute worst undeserved hangover for the amount I drank was from two beer bottles of 6% bottle-carb'd strawberry wine cooler.

I still don't stabilize a lot of my creations, but if I think I need to, I'm not hesitant about it. I just make sure I list on the label whether it's got sulphites or not, so people who ARE sensitive can avoid it.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
What do you mean "yeasty wheat beer" ? a wheat beer cloudy from yeast and wheat dough particles?

Traditional style Wheat Beers (Hefeweizen) are bottle conditioned which means that yeast are still present in the bottle when sold. If you go to Germany they have a way to pour the bottle (many American pubs now do it as well) that re-suspends the yeast when poured giving it a cloudy hazy appearance that the style is known for. By far my favorite style of beer.

SuperSquirrel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 27, 2011
Texas
Interesting post about the upset stomach. When I drink a bit of each of my first three batches with Fleishmann's bread yeast, it burns my tummy. However, I have been enjoying some of my #4 Cyser I made with some Lalvin EC-1118 and I've yet to experience any ills in my stomach. I was about to make the conclusion that it was the bread yeast that does not agree with me until I saw here that it could be unstabilized brew(?). So I quickly read over my logs for #1-3 and sure enough they all were stabilized.

At this time I believe it is the yeast that affects my stomach. I still have plenty of #1-3 on hand so next time I open one up I will make note if they bother my tummy.

I will say, though it is basic knowledge but it is nice to see for yourself, quality yeast really does improve the flavor of the mead you create.

jens183

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2012
Europe
...At this time I believe it is the yeast that affects my stomach. I still have plenty of #1-3 on hand so next time I open one up I will make note if they bother my tummy...

Im guessing your own experiences wont be totally representative, because an active homebrew consumer probably will build up some sort of immunity with time compared to someone who never consume (unfiltered, unpasturized) homebrew. In other words what I mean is just because you can consume 10 pints of homebrew without ill effects doesent mean everybody can do the same.
Im for one can only remember one bad experience and that was after consuming the slurry in a mead.(From a book called wild fermentation the author said that the slurry was usable for coooking purposes, so I had to test that for myself... If you've wondered why on earth I would want to consume the slurry. It did not taste any good by the way)

SuperSquirrel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 27, 2011
Texas
Im guessing your own experiences wont be totally representative, because an active homebrew consumer probably will build up some sort of immunity with time compared to someone who never consume (unfiltered, unpasturized) homebrew. In other words what I mean is just because you can consume 10 pints of homebrew without ill effects doesent mean everybody can do the same.
Im for one can only remember one bad experience and that was after consuming the slurry in a mead.(From a book called wild fermentation the author said that the slurry was usable for coooking purposes, so I had to test that for myself... If you've wondered why on earth I would want to consume the slurry. It did not taste any good by the way)

My intention wasn't to represent everybody. I said "it affects my stomach".

My point was people aren't crazy if they, even if in small numbers, feel an upset stomach.

SuperSquirrel

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 27, 2011
Texas
Quite the contrary. Actively fermenting beverages, and those full of yeast tend to make excellent laxatives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

lol ok.

My stomach pain felt and located to the top of my stomach like heartburn or acid reflux, not the "I gotta go now" affect :p

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
JAO with orange pith gives me heartburn, and I do recall one member complaining about having stained his toilet after consuming some of an active fermentation... :) We all have different reactions to things. Wouldn't be fun otherwise ;D

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I use spent lees in quick breads to good effect.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
When I did it, I had to add some bread yeast because the wine yeast didn't get to the job quick enough.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
How do you do that? Just as the yeast? Or in addition to yeast? Or something else?

I'm not using it as a "yeast source," just as an ingredient.
I can use less oil that way.

My drunken quick breads are never the same twice but go something like this:

3C various flours
2 or 3 eggs
1C lees
1/2 C oil
2tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
1C honey
1/2 C sugar
1C drunken fruit/veg (ie the carrots from Hungry Bunnies, ground in the Vitamix)
some nuts
some choc chips
various spices (cardamom cinnamon nutmeg clove ginger what-have-you)
poured into 2 or 3 loaf pans that have been greased and floured
baked at 350F for 1hr
mmmm

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Nice recipe! Thanks for sharing it! I will have to try it the next time I make something that has something that would be usable (guessing my grapefruit one won't be one of them!)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns