• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Re-hydrating the yeast question?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ghost2vp

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2012
Hi,

I am using EC-1118 for my mead and I realized that I forgot to put it in a dark place while it was re-hydrating... Did I royally mess up, or should it be fine?

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
you'll be fine. I always leave mine just sitting on the counter, never seen anywhere that says to put it in a dark place while re-hydrating.

ghost2vp

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2012
I usually always cover the yeast while re-hydrating.

Thanks for the advice, one less thing to worry about.

Now I just have to figure out how to find out the ABV without the SG ... I was tired this morning... I forgot to do those things.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
I usually always cover the yeast while re-hydrating.

Thanks for the advice, one less thing to worry about.

Now I just have to figure out how to find out the ABV without the SG ... I was tired this morning... I forgot to do those things.

You can get an estimate of your SG by using the calculator over on the left, but if it's only been a few hours I'd probably just take a reading now.

Nathan K

NewBee
Registered Member
My rule of thumb is always "If in doubt, check the manufacturer's directions"

Lalvin's EC-1118 instructions are:

Rehydrate EC-1118 in 5 times its weight of potable water at 40°C. Let stand for at least 20 minutes then gently stir occasionally to break up any clumps. Add to the must.

- THE TOTAL REHYDRATION DURATION SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 45 MINUTES
- AVOID COLD SHOCKING THE YEAST. THE TEMPERATURE DROP BETWEEN THE
MUST TO BE INOCULATED AND THE REHYDRATION MEDIUM SHOULD NEVER BE
>10°C (if any doubt, please contact your supplier or Lallemand)
- IT IS ESSENTIAL TO REHYDRATE THE YEAST IN A CLEAN CONTAINER.
- INITIAL REHYDRATION IN MUST IS NOT ADVISABLE.

Lalvin EC-1118 instructions

It doesn't say to leave it in the dark or to cover it although I can't think of any harm that any of those additional steps would cause. If it makes you feel better about it then do it because peace-of-mind is a wonderful thing.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That's weird, those differ from the instructions on my 5 g packet of EC-1118: "Dissolve the dry yeast in 50 ml (2 oz) of warm NOT HOT water (40-43C/104-109F). Let stand 15 min without stirring, then stir well to suspend all the yeast. Add to previously sulphited must. The yeast should not be kept in the rehydration medium longer than recommended."

But yeah, when in doubt, read the instructions :)

I half-fill a sanitized 2-cup plastic measuring cup with warm tap water and stick the sanitized thermometer into it and play with the taps until I get the right temperature (there's no way I can get an accurate reading with a small amount), then I dump out all but the 1/4 cup as recommended on the Lalvin packets I use, add the yeast, swirl it a little to disperse it, leave it for 15 min, by that time, it's cooled off to room temperature like my must usually is, swirl to resuspend, then in it goes...

huesmann

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Aug 22, 2011
I just stick my thermo probe into the stream of water from the faucet, adjusting the ahndle until it's between 104 and 109, then stick the measuring cup under the faucet for 2 oz of H2O.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns