Thread: looking for some pointers

Default looking for some pointers

I have 7 lbs of carrot blossom and 7 lbs of meadowfoam honey on the way. I am looking to make about 2 gallons of mead with each and I want to showcase the flavors of the honey in their mead. I am shooting for about 14% abv. I plan on using 6 pound of honey then filling with water until I get about 1.11 og. I want to save 1 pound of honey for backsweetening each batch. I thinking about going with K1-V116, I am having good luck with it with my cyser. Would anyone suggest a different yeast? I also plan on adding nutrients in steps. Should I anything else to the mead? Should I be testing for pH? If so when? Any other tips would be great. I want to showcase the flavors of the honey in their mead.

You might take a look at DV10, ICV-D21 or QA23. They're all quick, clean and leave your mead very true to the original honey.

Take a chance, Custer did!
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Dunno about the other two Oskaar mentioned, but D21 is one of my favourites.....
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

I find that more often that not, I need at least 0.5 grams per gallon of potassium bicarbonate to keep the pH from dropping too low. That works out to around 1/2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for the tips. I will take a look at the yeast listed.