• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bad yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

jthoward013

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2012
Sylvania Ga
i have made a starter from my yeast and some go ferm and it seems to be doing nothing im using a yeast im not used to as this is my first mead i usually use safale s-05 in my beer and the new yeast is dv-10. im used to my starters being fluffy and real heady and this one is not. its been sitting for 15 mins now.

Deacon Aegis

NewBee
Registered Member
i have made a starter from my yeast and some go ferm and it seems to be doing nothing im using a yeast im not used to as this is my first mead i usually use safale s-05 in my beer and the new yeast is dv-10. im used to my starters being fluffy and real heady and this one is not. its been sitting for 15 mins now.

I wouldn't write off the yeast too quickly. Lalvin yeasts seem to be pretty mild for me in their starter, then a few hours after pitching, I get a really good fermentation going. I'd go ahead and pitch it and see if it kicks off for you before trying another yeast, but do what makes you feel molst comfortable.

jthoward013

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2012
Sylvania Ga
thanks for that ill pitch it and see what happens. i made some cider with the same yeast the day i bought it and thats been a week and a half ago and its already down to 1.000. i just thought the time delay in using it might have hurt it and its been sitting on the counter at 75 degrees.

jthoward013

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2012
Sylvania Ga
more questions

okay its going the airlock is bubbling away. another question is what should the PH be? and also the instructions said to wait 24 hours until fermentation starts to add the fermaid-k should i go ahead and add it now tonight seeing how i am getting action through the airlock?

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
you're going to want to try and keep your PH at the 3.4 - 3.8 range. I start adding the Fermaid K after I start seeing airlock activity.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
The fermentation will usually lower it for you so don't worry about it yet. the yeast can handle higher PH much better than a low PH and since you are seeing activity I suggest just letting it go for now.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Just to expand on the pH issue...

Honey musts generally start out with moderately low pH to maybe even neutral. You might see anything in the 3.5-7 range. [I don't think I've seen anyone report above 7, and frankly above about 5.5 seems rare.] Honey has quite a bit of natural acidity, so plain honey musts are usually lower in pH than musts that include fruit, grain, etc. Some fruits (citrus is a good example) will bring a lot of acid too, which can sometimes lead to very low starting pH.

Yeast secretes organic acids to change its environment. This is good for yeast since below about 4.0 most bacteria have a hard time. So usually in the first one to two days of active fermentation you will see the pH drop into the 3-4 range.

Reactions: fivecats

jthoward013

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2012
Sylvania Ga
thank you too akueck i checked mine with some ph paper and it said it was 5.5-6 when i made it yesterday havent checked it today thought ill check it again tomorrow when i stir it up and airate it again.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns